mrhognuts

Conscious Eating

7 posts in this topic

Not sure what you mean by unconsciously, but I've been trying to be more conscious and present while eating. Interestingly, a song of some sorts starts to automatically play in my head when I eat, but I try to listen to my chewing sounds etc. instead. Also when I eat, I usually try to do just that and nothing else. Since changing to a healthier diet, it's much easier because the food just tastes so much better so I want to experience every part of the deliciousness. :)

unconscious meaning to eat like a robot and hardly remember it. ..not aware that youre doin it until youre aware that youre doin it.lol

I have noticed that when I try to eat slower and more consciously then I eat less and feel more full. Not mindfull, but full in stomach :D

Bringing consciousness into eating is worth it. The same goes for conscious pooping, conscious sex and any other basic need, because they occupy a hefty portion of our lifes, so bringing awareness into them gives a solid foundation to mindfullness practice. If you are living like that a profund insight can struck you any time, even during taking morning poop or brushing teeth.

• thanks for response girzo. been doin mindfulness for maybe 6 months and just realized that I was stuffin my face and could hardly remember what the food actually tasted like...being aware that I am not my thoughts/mind is the most amazing discovery. great to interact with fellow traveler.

@Girzo  Same here. When I bring consciousness fully to the food, there seems to be more of it in front of me. More consciousness, more food somehow.

@mrhognuts You mentioned practicing mindfulness... do you have a meditation practice?  Just curious.  Man... you're in for a real treat.  Tasting your food, being completely in the moment.  Like @Huginn I have found that being mindful, I take smaller bites and enjoy it longer.  I bet it helps my digestion too.  But, I eat less and enjoy it more.  Just like anything else, be in the moment, consciously aware.  Sounds like you're on the right path.  

Oh, and also for me... I found myself eating MUCH better quality food when I took it seriously.  No processed shit in boxes or fast food, for example.  I know that can be a hard trap to get out of... but now I smell somebody bringing in a bag of junk food and I do not like it.  Keep up the good work!