Oliver Saavedra

How Emotions Are Made - Lisa Feldman Barret

4 posts in this topic

In this book, professor Lisa Feldman Barret talks about a new, more holistic, theory of emotions and puts it in contrast to the classic view of emotions. 

Mainly, talks about how emotions are constructed by our mindset, mental model, and concepts, which get in between the experience by interpreting the sensorial impulses on a context. 

This 450 page book contains incredibly valuable information which, in my experience, have made every chapter mindblowing. 
I believe that this book is a great step for science to understand that experience is not objective nor conceptual.

You can find it on http://b-ok.org for free as a PDF or you can find the book on Amazon for $20 dollars, an incredibly cheap price for the knowledge the book has.  
https://www.amazon.com/How-Emotions-Are-Made-Secret/dp/0544133315/ 

Connect to Create ☼♡

Thanks for your review. It got me curious and I downloaded the ebook and read the introduction. Not sure if I will read through the whole book though. Not because I'm not interested enough, but because I got so many other things I want to do (including books to read) and my attention and actions are already very fragmented. 

Can you talk a bit about what changes it brought to your life, if any?

Hi, I also had many other things and books when I knew about this one haha, and had to wait a while to read it.
Read it when you are relaxed.

It has been interesting to be aware how my experience has changed while reading this book.

Superficially, it has made me understand and fix my diagrams about life, and has made me be more aware things I am feeling in the present moment, and understand how that and my concepts create my current emotion on the context, thing that makes me understand better how my mental model system works. That is changing my conceptual view of myself. 

More deeply, they are showing a new paradigm, which is proved by science, about a new way to understand emotions. In a very realistic way, they are explaining how concepts creates emotions, the two who rule your experience; (knowing about the Truth) and learning about this new paradigm, I am more aware, and I can see my old paradigm getting crashed and a new way of experiencing life is being revealed. 

I haven't finished the book yet, but it just gets more and more mindblowing, had to share it. 

Edited by Oliver Saavedra

Connect to Create ☼♡

I read the first two chapters and I think I will continue ;)