chris_crunch

Improving Vocabulary

12 posts in this topic

I'm curious. What systems do you guys have for directing and improving the growth of your vocabulary.

I'm thinking of simply reading a dictionary in order, learning 10 new words a day. At the start of the day, and keep referring back to them, perhaps making an effort to use them in your daily life.

What do you guys do?

Vocabulary App

I've built the habit that I always type the new words into my vocabulary app. It's simply the same like learning with vocabulary cards, but with your mobile device you can access anytime you want, if you have it always by yourself. Another thing I do with new vocabulary is  building up memory hooks, so that you can easily remember the translation of the word. And as Leo also said, the secret is in the repetition.

• Vocabulary app -> easy acces
  • memory hooks
  • repetition

I hope I could help and please tell us your progress!

Tim

I bought the Marriam -Webster's Vocabulary builder book. It is an excellent way to learn the root words  so that you will be able to recognize and know thousands of words in a relatively short time.

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

I use Evernote (App+Website) for that, each time I encounter a new word or an unusual use of word I add the entire sentence to the list.
Adding the entire sentence helps me put the word within a practical function.

If I'm reading a scientific, political, specific article, I label the list by the name of the article, this helps me remember the word and relate to its field.
and If I'm reading a Fantasy book or an artistic novel, I have a list of that too, which are words we don't often use in our modern lifestyle but still interesting to learn.

Once every while I read my lists, and remove the words that I master.

Edited by Rufus

I would read books and whenever I came across a word I didn't know I would search its definition and write it on the back of a cue card with the word on the front.

I separated all my words into three piles labelled daily, weekly, and monthly. I would attempt to recall the definition of each word daily and if I got it right I would upgrade it to the weekly box which I would test each sunday. If I got it again on sunday I would put it into the monthly box. Every time I got a word wrong it would go back to the daily box.

I've found this to be the most efficient way to retain declarative memory :)

Yeh I have to agree with @jackson You can certainly study vocabulary using a variety of techniques but the most effective and most natural is reading more. When it comes to language acquisition (including first language) natural and repeated use of the language is by far the most prolific technique. Children learn basic vocabulary by reading basic books and creating context to derive meaning. You can learn advanced vocabulary by reading advanced books and doing the same thing.

The Memory Palace is also a very good technique for those people with more imagery based memory. This is essentially building a house in your mind and placing words there using very memorable images to associate to words. I used this technique to teach basic Chinese to my step father and it was very effective.

https://litemind.com/memory-palace/

I would just read as much as possible and look up words that I don't know. This way, you are getting multiple benefits at the same time, not just a more expansive vocabulary. In addition, reading helps you develop a contextual understanding in addition to the understanding you get from looking it up. I suspect that it ultimately a more effective form of retention. Furthermore, I personally find reading more enjoyable than just learning new words by rote, thus it is a more sustainable habit.

I'd say reading is key, find some topic you like and dedicate time for it, every day. It is far more beneficial then reading a dictionary.

:ph34r:

Since im not english native , i read a lot of books in english and write down all the words i dont know in a booklet... then i recap them keep practicing, everyday when reading im happy and go : cool! i know this word now because i learnt it yesterday and so on...

last days i learnt for example : retaliatory strike ^^ incommensurable & irreconcilable (for me this shit is hard^^)

here is a cool question for you , let´s see if you guys know this :

what does "dethesaurize" mean? anyone? ;) YES! it is an english word...

take 5 new words a day and make 5 sentences for each word. I call it the 5x5 method. it worked wonder for me