Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spicy_pickles

Career Dissatisfaction

5 posts in this topic

I am completely fed up with my current job. I don't like what I do (it is so far removed from my passion, and it really shouldn't be), I don't like the environment and I don't like the stress it brings. 

The easy option is to get another job, but I've bounced around so much in the past four years hoping that the next place was better. I've now come to discover that no matter where I go, it's all the same. 

If I do decide to job hop right now, chances are it won't be my final stop either. I have my eye on one particular career, but then again, there's no guarantee I'll get that job either. 

I'm at a loss as to what to do, just thinking about going into work puts me into a state of depression. 

I went through this exactly so i know how horrible you feel.  My hate for my job really brought my relationship down as well because i just wasnt happy with life all together.  I finally got the balls to quit my safe and secure gov job, i left no option to return because if i had to i would rather not live.  I left to pursue my love for cars, and i can tell you now that when you have to make something work, you will.  

If i was in your shoes, here is what i would do.  First, you need to know what it is you would like to do with your work.  What makes you happy?  Your problem is that you keep jumping from job to job but they are all jobs that you do not want to do.  You have no passion for them.  So until you find out what it is you WANT to do every day of your life, this pattern will continue.  My whole life has changed for the better i literally thank god every morning that i wake up now.  Life is WAYYYYYYYY to short to be hating your job which is about half of what you do in life.  

If you have money saved up and you can figure out what it is that would make you happy every day.  Leave your job right now and start going in the direction of your hapiness. If you do not have money saved and you have no idea what job would make you smile every day, then thats your first goal is to find what it is you want to do and then transition.  I have had all sorts of jobs.  When i was 18 i worked at AOL in the saves from cancelling dept.. That was a horrible job the things they made us do to keep people from cancelling.  Yet they paid me literally about 100 an hour to do so.  I hated the job so bad that i quit, all the money in the world is not worth hating your job every day.  I would much rather find a way to survive on 10/hr and love my work, rather then make 100/hr and HATE it.  Good luck, tke action now, life is too damn short to dilly dally. 

On 2/22/2016 at 10:55 AM, Blessed81 said:

...I would much rather find a way to survive on 10/hr and love my work, rather then make 100/hr and HATE it...

As Blessed81 mentions, it's better to find work that you love, so much so, that it doesn't feel like work. 

With that being said, based on how you feel about work in general, I think it is financial independence that you truly seek. Financial independence is where you are making enough passive income to "retire" from working. I think attaining financial independence while finding your passion is the perfect combination, because although you may find a job where the work meets your passion, your employer will still control your time and funnel your creativity, and that may remain dissatisfying to you.

Do some self-actualizing, find your direction, and work towards becoming your most satisfying version of yourself.

Oh man , I´m in your shoes right now and I just decided to quit and change my job. What I'm planning is to find a transition job , I know it will not be the best , but bills don´t pay for themselves. I want to write and I do need time to build an audience and find my writing voice and that will take time. But the job I'm planning to take is going to teach me new language , meet new people and find stuff to write about.Think about something like that. Don´t just quit your job to get back to it a few months later when the bank dries up!!!

Like the guys above me said , find your passion. You know what it is , maybe you don´t want to believe it. For me it was always writing but I didn't want it , because it doesn't pay much , it's not respectable and not considered a "real job" by a society. But now I agree wit Blessed above , money is not everything , trust your guts and be brave!

If you need to talk I offer you my time , good luck bro!

I agree so much with Clay above and I have been in your situation for a year now.

I have been with no money after quitting my job without a proper plan and had to go back to a similar job as it was the easiest option. Surely there are some things you've liked during all your work experience and I think thats how you should start thinking because as much as you want to think you like something sometimes the experience can be quite different from what you thought it would be.

So I have personally realised that even though I might not be in my dream career there were a lof of things I used to like in my first job and I want to see if I can bring them back to my next job and making the most of it. I also think that you can learn how to love your job (provided you dont deeply hate it) and that the people you work with influence IMMENSELY the way you feel at work. So I personally know I need to learn how to behave with people who are not making me feel well at work because it gives me another vision of my job.

Clay made a very good point because it might be (and I am pretty sure it is my situation now) that it is not even about the job itself but the whole concept of not being free. I relate so much to that in the sense that I need to schedule my life around my work so it is even worse when you hate your job obviously! So my next goal this year is to buy my first flat in order to reach this financial independence which I am sure will bring a lot of joy to my life, because then I will be able to do more of the things I like once I'll be getting my first passive income.

Think about all of this before quitting or changing job again, sometimes the answer is not to quit. 

Good luck and I am also available if you want to talk :)

Di