Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scholar

"intelligence Is Just A Matter Of Information Processing"

2 posts in this topic

This is Sam Harris' claim, he is convinced that intelligence is a product of complex information processing. Isn't it obvious though that this cannot be the case if one inspects his own expirience? My conscious expirience of the color red has influence on my behaviour, proven to myself simply by the fact that I can become aware of expiriencing the color red. If intelligence or behaviour was merely grounded in physical information processing, the expirience of red itself couldn't possibly create a reaction in the mind. Infact, there wouldn't even be a place for the expirience to take place whatsoever. Isn't it far more likely that intelligence emerges from consciousness, or atleast that the information processing and consciousness are interacting with each other, as it seems? I know from a non-dual perspective it's not seperate, but simply from a conceptual perspective the idea that complex information procressing gives rise to conscioussness, which then has not influence on the information processing whatsoever, makes no sense to me at all.

I can clearly become aware of consciousness having direct influence on my information processing. It seems that however neurons work, they are not governed by mere, classical physical rules. It's also unreasonable to me to assume that from a certain complexity of information processing suddenly consciousness would arise. I mean, what hilarious kind of rule would that be? Did the universe just look at how atoms move and decide that if they are arranged in a specific order, interacting with each other in a specific way, consciousness would just pop out? And where does consciousness even pop up, what is it made of? These questions are completely ignored, and assumption upon assumption is made, not even rational whatsoever, by the leading scientists on this field. It's like they didn't even get the fundamentals of intelligence and consciousness down.

Does anyone understand their perspective of argumentation?

Edited by Scholar

Glory to Israel

Once you enquire about what intelligence actually is... beyond what another human has told you... you will realize that it is the very essence of what makes you aware of your existence this very moment. 

But of course don't believe me. Lock yourself up in a room, sit there, and ask yourself "What is intelligence ?" and don't get up until the answer hits you.

I jumped over your actual question on purpose. You need wisdom, not the answer to a cultural question.