Sevi

"şeb-i Aruz/the Wedding Night"

5 posts in this topic

I researched a bit to see if there is a better translation in internet than I could do.. but no.. I'll try to explain it.

According to Rumi the night you die (and the moment you are put in your grave, as in tradition) is your moment of your "wedding night" meaning it's your grand moment of meeting/reuniting with your beloved in a very deep intimate sensual way.

That is a very very celebratory moment which washes out all of your long - long yearningly awaitings for your deep desirous love.

In Eastern literature, one of the common themes about love is: those two lovers awaiting each other for too long with a deep desire and yearning for each other. That also refers to the eastern way of expressing sexuality. In this cultural form, those who have this attraction to each other can not just get together and have sexual intimacy as they wish; the social norm is quite strict and above all of the individuals' will, which even doesn't exclude the men in power positions. Of course there is a lot of stories and facts where this rule is broken, but still there is this clear intensity and presence of this cultural impact on that society. (Of course here I'm referring to mostly early centuries of the culture more than modern times of it.. but even in modern expressions of it as an art form you will clearly find the related motifs which can help you to understand the background colors of it)

So, when you look at the any expressions about love in the literature; you will smell this strong deep sensual desire in some format. When these two people start to feel something to each other, their medium will be thick and not be allowing their sensations freely flow into each other. This type of limitation where the both individuals have feelings and primal urges, will be clearly creating an inner pressure, blockage and frustrations where at the same time there is this joy and the sweet nectar of love in the air.

Through out the way of the culture functions these two lovers has to wait till they can get together. So in languages which are related these motifs -like my native language, Turkish- you will find some verbs to say 'meet' which will mean "to meet to each other finally / or uniting finally at the end / or at last grasping the beloved one tight" with these emotional colors at the background.

As clear as it is, when -and if-  finally these two lovers get the chance to get together, it's a great deal of relieving a huge amount of bottled sexual and emotional tension. So when it is said in an eastern storyline, a wedding night represents this intensity of connection where the lover and the beloved "unite or meet"

So..

Just like any two lovers experience the suffering because of being apart from each other,

For Rumi,

after being so far, so long, so distant from the "God"= ('his one and only', 'his beloved', 'his any-other-else-thing-is-ever-existed Thing') death represents this "enormous reunion"

He calls this thick medium which is not allowing the lovers to meet as 'life'

So today is Rumi's birthday. Whom awaited passionately for his death, yearned to meet his love.

'Şeb-i aruz' is his wedding night where he finally embraces deeply his only love.

Edited by Sevi