Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GeorgeLawson

Freedom From Dogma Techniques

6 posts in this topic

I've recently found myself in friendships and even romantic interests with people from my universities' Christian Union in Bournemouth. They are lovely people, but I get the impression that either they are trying to convert me, very slowly and subtly, or I am just paranoid that they will. 

With my now year-long studying and investigation into Spiritual Enlightenment, this has been tormenting my ego. My ego wants there to be a God because it provides a band-aid over the truth of not-knowing, though I know deep down that the fundamental nature of our existence simply can't be answered rationally. 

How do I respond to my Christian friends when they try to work their Jesus magic on me without offending them too much? More importantly, are there any techniques or exercises you know of which keep your consciousness awake and prevent it from being engulfed by the tide of dogma?

The only thing i've really found solace in in order to help with this issue so far is completing the exercises in Peter Ralston's The Book of Not Knowing. Nevertheless, I would be hugely grateful for any suggestions and advice as this seems to be one of my most pressing challenges at present. 

On 2/20/2016 at 11:25 PM, Spacious said:

Embrace exactly where you are because these experiences are highlighting where the ego requires dismantling.

Pining for certainty of an afterlife is a great place to begin sitting with the discomfort because that is the fear of death begging to be confronted. 

Face this and many other challenges after will seem easier. 

Recognise also that the events that surround us are outside of our control. The notion of being engulfed is a conceptualisation. Recognise this fiction and any other anxiety about manipulation, magic or group think.

Perhaps the issue with being converted comes from some assumptions about the fictional identity. My first impression suggest that "your" previous experience may have led to the adoption of group habits meaning the fear of its repetition is manifesting. 

Continue to acknowledge what is a conceptualisation and the events will fall exactly as they are supposed to fall.

Thanks, that's really useful :)

Yeah my ego has gone through an existential crisis over this whole 'meaning of life' thing and keeps lashing out at enlightenment as being 'too nihilistic.' But I guess with radical open-mindedness you're able to see that nihilism is an egoic attitude in itself.

Did you show them some of Leo's spiritual enlightenment videos? Why not? That could lead to some interesting conversations or are they so dogmatic you can't even talk about it. Be prepared for an unstable relationship on the long term with them, romantic or not! Your true nature will come out of you one day. Lying to yourself is never a good idea.

Their "Jesus magic" as you call it, is just another story, it is like a political party. Join it if you like, in reality, it won't make you or them happier. You could be a moslem, it wouldn't make a single difference. Your mind tells you that christianity is better than moslem because you're a westerner.

Their so called faith in Jesus is a lie. They don't believe in Jesus, they believe in their stories about Jesus. They put their faith in their beliefs, not the truth.

So drop the question-answering process... 

What is good for me, for them, for my life, the world?  Where are worries created? Nothing is bad or good. The voice in your head is playing with you because you are wrongly identified with it.  Notice it, thank it for the offer it has made and get on with life. Get a master at this.

Enjoy the art of letting go of thoughts.

Take care

Edited by Nic

Who Am I to judge? When I think I know, I don't know that I don't know.

"Things don't change when they are understood. Understanding reinforces the intellect (the ego). The seeker has to make room to the meditative state."

I believe that they are on their own spiritual path, and you are on yours. If you can separate the dogma from Christianity, I believe that it is a path to enlightenment. The problem is that to many or most Christians, it is ALL dogma. But there is a deeper truth there and some Christians you meet are at least beginning to see through to it. Your friends might not be ready for it, and you'll have to accept that. Or maybe they are and you can help them do that. As someone who was raised a conservative Christian I don't feel like I lost my religion rather I feel like I figured out the truth of what Jesus was here to teach us. There's a big difference between what Jesus taught and how Christianity is interpreted or has been practiced over the past 2000 years. 

Be sensitive to them and their beliefs. There is a lot of fear in Christianity as it is commonly taught. Fear of sin, fear of blasphemy, fear of hell ultimately. Most people can get really upset about their retirement savings. This is their life in eternity we are talking about.  Unless they are really cool, if you use terms like "jesus magic" they are going to immediately throw you into the devilish blasphemer category and not listen to a thing you say. :) But be open-minded to the fact that you can learn about Christianity without being overtaken by the dogma. The dogmatic person is the one who is usually worried about being seduced into not being dogmatic, not the other way around. What I'm trying to say is that you might be creating a problem that isn't really there.

Edited by mandyjw

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost