How to be wise

Is Humanity Improved With More Scientific Discoveries?

4 posts in this topic

I sometimes wonder if humanity would be better off without scientific discoveries and new technologies. They do have benefits, but they also have a lot of side effects. 

Do you think humanity would be better off with or without more scientific discoveries in the future, relatively speaking? 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Relatively speaking I think no.  Without scientific discoveries you woldn't be able to find all this knowladge on the internet so easliy and we wouldn't be able to have this conversation on the forum.

1 hour ago, wavydude said:

Relatively speaking I think no.  Without scientific discoveries you woldn't be able to find all this knowladge on the internet so easliy and we wouldn't be able to have this conversation on the forum.

...without scientific discoveries people wouldn't be addicted to technology and would spend more time being.

Anyways, scientific discoveries do have their pros and cons. The question is, does the pros outweigh the cons?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

I just had this conversation with a friend...apparently, there is a sub-culture of people that actually believes technology should be wiped out completely...I could answer your question from a place of fear (like Leo's - watch out for virtual reality -warning)... or I could answer it from a place of addiction to it....or I could answer it from a place of prejudice, choosing only technology that I feel would be beneficial....but all of those answers would be coming out of my ass....because I have no fucking idea....