Privet

Help Me With Sleep

6 posts in this topic

Hey, I have fucked up sleeping pattern. I struggle with this for several years, very little success so far. 

Here are the things I find to be problematic:

1) I tried to wake up at the same time for several weeks and had an accountability with my friend. But when we stop I automatically backslash because I am totally unconcious and turn off an alarm clock and then don't even remember how I overslept. I tried tricky alarm clocks, I tried to write big note to myself and put it on my phone so I will not go to bed when I wake up and will sit on the chair until I wake up, none of this works, I really don't even remember then how did I ignore it. Only other person's control helps. And not always I have that person.

2) The reason I backslash when I adjust good pattern is insomnia. Either it is because of nofap testosterone boost, or relapse. Or energy/mania because of strong determination sitting. Or impatience because of unconcious and agitated engage in something like internet surfing.

3) I tried to go to bed 2 hours before time of falling asleep and practicing "strong determination laying in the bed" + breathing exercises before it. It works, but very rarely, usually it just makes me calmer and more concious and I still can't fall asleep.

4) When I have insomnia and still wake up early I am really fucked, especially for several days in a row, usualy it leads to relapse in productivity and some addictions. And then we got vicious circle: bad sleep -> fixing bad sleep -> good sleep -> insomnia -> relapse -> bad sleep

Do I make so little progress just because I don't try hard/long/consistent enough? Is there any more productive way to go about it than my current efforts? What is the most crucial thing to focus on in training yourself sleep well and in time?

Please share your advice.

Few things that could help

1. More physical activity- add some vigorous workout session to your daily routine. A 20 minute high intensity, high heart rate, cardio session could do the trick. Tiring your body before sleep could help you a lot. 
  2. Stretch before sleep -  if you have a pet, you'll notice they stretch before sleeping, many people do this in combination with deliberate yawning 
  3. Dim all lights at least 1 hour before sleep - to help your body with melatonin production. Only have enough light to avoid bumping into the walls. This is an ideal time to meditate, do some breathing exercises 
  4. Careful with evening snacking - high starchy and high fatty meals that are difficult to digest will disrupt your sleep. make sure that your dinner is light, consisting mainly of raw food. 
  5. Have a warm beverage - there are certain herbal teas that help calm the body, look something up. many of them contains herbs such as Spearmint, Lemon Grass, Tilia Flowers, Blackberry Leaves, Orange Blossoms, Hawthorn Berries, Rosebuds
  6. Look into magnesium supplement - generally magnesium helps you relax stiff muscles , reduce anxieties and put body in more state of calmness. Most of us are generally deficient in magnesium.

If nothing helps however, it could be sound idea to talk to a physician as thee are some physiological issues that could be causing this. Some people naturally cannot sleep very well and there are people who do not sleep at all. Not saying this could be your case but it is good to know that you can expel that possibility. 

Also the trick with morning early wake up is to have a purpose for making up. You need to plan your morning routine. Be it exercise, studying, meditation, yoga, it has to be something that will pull you from the bed. 

Once the alarm rings, get of the bed, don't sit, start moving get a blood circulating, open all shutters, open the window,. splash your face with cold water, go make breakfast. Any physical activity will help wake you up. Having a lemon drink with a pinch of cayenne pepper helps kick start your body in the morning. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

17 hours ago, Michael569 said:

More physical activity

I jog in the summer and exercise at home in the winter, doesn't help my sleep. If I jog too much it only gets even worse.

Dim all lights at least 1 hour before sleep

I tried that, also I use blue light filter on my computer and phone, it makes me a little sleepy, but after 10 minutes that passes. Also I have seasonal mood disorder so my body reacts to darkness with weird stuff, when I meditate with no light I can barely concentrate.

Careful with evening snacking

I prevent that.

18 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Some people naturally cannot sleep very well and there are people who do not sleep at all. Not saying this could be your case but it is good to know that you can expel that possibility. 

If this is the case I still think that it has to be solved somehow naturally. I'm not a fan of medication, although I look towards supplements and stuff.

Thanks for your advice!

@Privet there is a book i would recommend to you: https://www.amazon.com/Tao-Health-Sex-Longevity-Practical/dp/067164811X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504167566&sr=8-1&keywords=tao+of+health+sex+longevity

This is a teaching of ancient Chinese Taoists. It talks about proper breathing, stretching, nutrition, meditation and many, many aspects that our western medicine completely ignores. There are suggestions on how to naturally treat diseases and various conditions by food, herbs and specific exercises and pressure points. Perhaps you would find that useful, I certainly did.

A great deal of open-mindedness is required when reading this as it talks about Chee, Yin-Yang harmony and some topic that are hard to cope with for most people. 

just order a used one for 2$ and give it a shot :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

A spoon of raw honey before bed helps me sleep or a warm herbal tea like chamomile or valerian with raw honey and lemon. You could also try a warm shower or bath with Epsom salts and few drops of lavender essential oil to relax your whole body.

B R E A T H E