Peter Zemskov

How Do Monks Live In A Cave?

4 posts in this topic

Some monks live in a cave to detach themselves from all the distractions of the modern world but I wonder how do they survive there? It's interesting because they don't have shops to buy food or water. Do they hunt??? Well that's just a bit of curiosity. What interests me REALLY is what I will write below.

I've heard that some monks are able not to eat or drink at all. Can it be true that when you get FULLY enlightened you don't need food or water anymore?!?! Can that be the answer to how they are able to survive in the cave for so long???

I'm pretty sure that there are some that don't drink or eat and just meditate - enlightened or not.

41 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I guess it's a stereotype that some live in a cave the way we imagine it. I think that culture plays an important role.

When I was in Burma I saw a group of nuns every morning walking through the streets collecting money and food from people and local store owners. The people are happy to support as they believe it will improve their karma. The money gets used to buy the daily necessities and the food gets shared in the monastery.

Possibly some monks or yogis living in caves get some food from their monasteries or other people as well.

It's said that a particular kind of yogis among them the Buddha back then, walked from town to town and depended on the people to give them water and food. Perhaps this was possible in India back in the days, maybe still today. But I wouldn't try that in the US.

But do you think It's possible to live without food, water or even air as some claim? Seems completely unrealistic but what is reality but an illusion... Maybe Shiva was this kind of yogi.

19 minutes ago, Toby said:

I'm pretty sure that there are some that don't drink or eat and just meditate - enlightened or not.

Can you give examples of those people? Shiva? Jesus? Mohammed?