The White Belt

New Kadampa Tradition (buddhist)

5 posts in this topic

Disclaimer: The purpose of this post is not for gossip, finger-pointing, or conspiracy

Does anybody here have any experience with the buddhist tradition of 'New Kadampa' (NKT)?

I ask because it is my local Buddhist centre. It is a very popular and widespread sect (or whatever you prefer to call it) founded by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. Particularly popular in England. 

I also ask because they have had a lot of controversy for being 'cult-like' in there approach.

Any dealings with them? 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

@The White Belt there's one kadampa center here too but i've never been there. i guess you could go take a look and see if they practice silent meditation. have your own impressions.

unborn Truth

@ajasatya I've had a look. Several looks. Some things have been positive, some have really put me off! :-/

I'm on the fence.

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

8 minutes ago, The White Belt said:

@ajasatya I've had a look. Several looks. Some things have been positive, some have really put me off! :-/

I'm on the fence.

well, it's not like you must adore anybody. if they dedicate time to practice meditation in group, it's already worth it.

to be honest, the only kinds of group that practice something that i completely agree with are zen sanghas and yoga shalas. everything else smells a bit strange to me.

unborn Truth

@Maxx Thanks for the info! Are you personally involved with NKT? 

I think I need to read some of the books. I flicked through a couple at the centre and there seemed to be a lot of prayers in them. To me, Buddha, and prayer, don't go hand in hand, but what do I know? 

― Shunryu Suzuki