Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Milos Uzelac

Shadow Work Advice,techniques?

6 posts in this topic

Im writing this at 4:00am in my south-eastern european time zone. Since I cant fall asleep decided to write this instead of meditating because I don't understand the principles of experiencing,expressing and letting go of suppressed emotions and "deleted" traumas and events. I apologise for my laziness and ignorance for not researching about shadow work and how that differs from strong determination sitting until suppressed stuff comes up. Do I have to psycho analyse and question myself and my actions during the meditation or is that just mental masturbation. I write this because this my main issue that keeps coming up and up again in my life and inhibiting me for being even slightly present and more caring and interested in people.I feel must start doing some purging as a separate thing apart from focusing on mindfullness labelling and vypassana. I am supposed to go to psychotherapist in late september but until then I must at least start try to experience and express some of the suppressed stuff that has been incapacitating me. I will research this but can anyone give me quick advice or techniques of how to do efficient shadow work during a meditation. I would be especially grateful of someone can share their experience and results with some shadow work if they have the time and will to write it here. I feel like a lazy newbie when writing this topic so thank you for setting the time to answer.

"Keep your eye on the ball. " - Michael Brooks 

Maybe you could try to journal a little bit, just start writing out everything? Don't get into your mind while meditating, when you sit, just sit. :) 

Edited by Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj

Hallå

Write out a list of all the things you dislike about yourself and other people.

Write out a list of all the things you like about yourself and other people.

This will get you started.  It will get you digging.

The ego is everything you identify as me.  The shadow is everything that you identify as not-me.  Me in the sense of -- I'm the kind of person statements.  E.g., I'm a skater. I'm a tough guy.  I'm a metal-head.  I'm bad with women.  Etc. 

The key to shadow work is to let in little repressed pieces of you from your shadow come back into consciousness so you can integrate more fully with your authentic self. Your quest to carve out a strong identity caused you to reject or repress certain parts of you.  This is what shadow work fixes.  It allows you to fill-out into your authentic self more.  

Emerald has 2 vids on shadow work that you gotta watch for background.  Her YouTube channel is called The Diamond Net.  Watch those two vids.  They will solidify your conceptual understanding of shadow work.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

8 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Write out a list of all the things you dislike about yourself and other people.

Write out a list of all the things you like about yourself and other people.

This will get you started.  It will get you digging.

The ego is everything you identify as me.  The shadow is everything that you identify as not-me.  Me in the sense of -- I'm the kind of person statements.  E.g., I'm a skater. I'm a tough guy.  I'm a metal-head.  I'm bad with women.  Etc. 

The key to shadow work is to let in little repressed pieces of you from your shadow come back into consciousness so you can integrate more fully with your authentic self. Your quest to carve out a strong identity caused you to reject or repress certain parts of you.  This is what shadow work fixes.  It allows you to fill-out into your authentic self more.  

Emerald has 2 vids on shadow work that you gotta watch for background.  Her YouTube channel is called The Diamond Net.  Watch those two vids.  They will solidify your conceptual understanding of shadow work.  

Thanks for setting apart to explain this to me and reply. Haven't watched her videos before will check those two.Thanks again ?

8 hours ago, Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj said:

Maybe you could try to journal a little bit, just start writing out everything? Don't get into your mind while meditating, when you sit, just sit. :) 

Maybe you could try to journal a little bit, just start writing out everything? Don't get into your mind while meditating, when you sit, just

Edited by Milos Uzelac
Typing mistake

Will have to start doing it I as separate Self-Actualization Journal on this forum. Thanks man ?

Edited by Milos Uzelac

Milos, I saw this thread randomly and thought how great your question was. You might not be looking for an answer to this anymore, but I thought I’d share my thoughts if still valuable. 

I think, you might be aiming to find answers through conscious reflection by analyzing – using your left brain

In this work, only use your left brain to ask questions, and then you must turn it off. Meaning that just listen for the symbols, images that pop up and feelings that rise from old memories.

Don’t dismiss them. Just watch and ask for clarity for where that feels interesting to you (you can ask: what’s the meaning of this symbol?, etc.) and turn off your left brain again. It takes time to get used to it but you’ll find the answer. 

Great question to ask in your situation could be: “How can I love the people that surrounds me?”. And bring the picture of a person whom you’re trying to love more and let all things come up.

Remember, if you’re receiving the answer in a sentence, that means you haven’t turned off your left brain, yet. 

Good luck. 

Edited by memocappa