kieranperez

Help Relaxing Breathing During Meditation

2 posts in this topic

Every time I'm sitting down to meditate for over a year now I still struggle to find a way to just relax my breathing and my chest. I'm (trying to) breath deep into my diaphragm but my breaths just get shorter and shorter until I can't breath relaxed nor deep at all. I try to not manipulate my breath and just stay aware but I keep keep finding it harder and harder to breath. This of course causes anxiety which makes it worse. It's not like I've been meditating for only a month or so. This has been going on for over a year now. This isn't related to anything physiological. I'm an elite track, cross country, middle/long distance runner that runs 60-85 miles per week with a 4:13 mile and am 6' tall and 135 pounds. So this isn't a health issue nor lack of fitness issue LOL. 

Has anyone had this issue and found a technique to resolve this? I've found some leads on this potentially being a result from such built up anxiety and strong neurosis.

Thanks!!

5 minutes ago, kieranperez said:

Every time I'm sitting down to meditate for over a year now I still struggle to find a way to just relax my breathing and my chest. I'm (trying to) breath deep into my diaphragm but my breaths just get shorter and shorter until I can't breath relaxed nor deep at all. I try to not manipulate my breath and just stay aware but I keep keep finding it harder and harder to breath. This of course causes anxiety which makes it worse. It's not like I've been meditating for only a month or so. This has been going on for over a year now. This isn't related to anything physiological. I'm an elite track, cross country, middle/long distance runner that runs 60-85 miles per week with a 4:13 mile and am 6' tall and 135 pounds. So this isn't a health issue nor lack of fitness issue LOL. 

Has anyone had this issue and found a technique to resolve this? I've found some leads on this potentially being a result from such built up anxiety and strong neurosis.

Thanks!!

I've faced a similar problem. To resolve it, just try concentrating on something else. When you stop focusing on your breathing, it'll become automatic. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie