Will Bigger

Clarify The Later Stages Of Sprial Dynamics

3 posts in this topic

I think it would be reasonable to believe that many of us are in stage green, moving into stage yellow. 

So, can we clarify:

1. how to move into stage yellow effectively?

2. the differences between stage yellow and stage turquoise?

3.  how growing psychologically is relevant to enlightenment?

4. how growing psychologically is relevant to life purpose?

5. which systems we should be studying, based on what it is we want from life?

6. how to strike a balance between using systems thinking in self-serving vs world-serving ends?

I'm not in Stage Yellow, but I'm moving into it more everyday.

So, can we clarify:

1. how to move into stage yellow effectively?

Take time to listen to other's views. Complete everything below self actualization in Abraham Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Notice that in Green, you're often judging others for judging others which is hypocrisy. Yellow is when a person in Green realizes that he has to stop thinking everyone and their ideas are equal — and try to make a decision on what's best. But it's no longer in the close mindedness of Blue or the selfishness of Orange — it's with openness and compassion. 

I recommend looking into changing paradigms or searching on Google paradigm shaking books. That's what allows for the biggest changes in perspectives. Also, grab some systems theory books while you're at it.

2. the differences between stage yellow and stage turquoise?

I don't know much about it. But Stage Green is supposed to be when we begin to have good intentions for the world. Stage Yellow is when we take time to understand the problems in the world and our life better. Stage Turquoise is when we use that understanding more deeply in strategic action.

3.  how growing psychologically is relevant to enlightenment?

Enlightenment is often a difficult path to take when you're having other difficulties in life. It's like you're carrying too many stacks of plates at once making it toppling over. Enlightenment in my and other's experiences can be a beautiful path but also a very stress inducing one — be careful.

4. how growing psychologically is relevant to life purpose?

When you want to change others for the better, you have to change yourself for the better too. Your body and mind is the medium of which you interact and observe the world. Develop it well.

5. which systems we should be studying, based on what it is we want from life?

It depends on what you want. Simple as that. But I think of Systems thinking as not just what specific thing to study but an abstract form of thinking that can apply to almost your whole life. If you read on systems theory, you'll understand more. I'm reading Systems Thinking : A Primer, a bestselling book on the subject, if you want a recommendation.

6. how to strike a balance between using systems thinking in self-serving vs world-serving ends?

I often make myself a priority before I help others? Why? Because when I'm happy and satisfied, the more I'm willing to help out. In contrast to being stressed and depressed about all this effort. I remember a metaphor from Headspace that was used in meditation but can also be used here. Imagine holding a horse in with a short rope on its legs. Letting it run around in that narrow space. But then as time passes, you can slowly allow the horse to run more freely as you gradually untie and lengthen the rope. 

Don't force the growth. Flow into it.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” 
― Socrates

If you want to go to stage yellow, you must first be at stage green (obviously) and then you most come to realise the idealistic and unrealistic nature of green thinking. As in why green thinking does not work and in turn you learn to truly understand the other stages.Because green thinking is humane but people get in the way, how and why this is the case is "illuminating". Understanding people systems becomes a introduction to systems thinking.

Edited by Spiral