Jani

Bullshitting Myself

5 posts in this topic

I am currently serving in army. It's mandatory in our country for every young man to do so. Before I came here I was worried about what will happen to my meditation habit. I haven't 'been able to' maintain my meditation habit here due to lack of privacy, so I sort of gave it up here and instead do it during weekends when I get to go home. BUT, I just realized that during our spare time here I could literally walk into the forest somewhere and sit by a tree for the length of the session. Or when I'm sick and pretty much alone here in the barracks, I could sit down and meditate but won't do it. I really have the chance to meditate every now and then but don't take it because I have mentally given up on it already. What my point is here that when we make up our minds to not do something because of some silly excuse that seems like an obstacle, we will not recognize the opportunities to do that activity whenever we have a chance to. I think this is another trap of our minds. So my suggestion that I want to leave here is that try to recognize what activity you have put off because of some excuse, and then start paying attention to the opportunities when you could do it. And finally, continue or start over again. 

40 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@Jani how's the meditation going?

Well, more difficult than what it used to be when it was a daily habit. I feel generally shittier than I used to and get more often lost in behavior of 'lower self'. But when I do meditate and follow through, it feels fucking good. Thanks.

Every second is an opportunity to meditate. You don't need to sit down to meditate. In fact I think your situation is a great opportunity for MORE meditation not less.

How to do it?

Just observe your breathing and be aware of it. Breath is the best meditation tool ever. Whatever your doing, breathing is there to Support you and keep you alive, it doesn't go away. When awarness of breath is present, thinking (monkey mind) is not. So you don't need to find time to sit down. Do this and you Will be able to meditate the whole day while doing stuff.