Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dice

Studying Ethics And Enlightenment

6 posts in this topic

Hey,

i study ethics and have to do scientific work about theories und concepts of for example good and evil. I have to keep a lot of knowledge in mind to deliver lectures at the university.

Do you think this is a problem for enlightenment work or can i do both?

Edited by dice

There's no problem if you simply practice meditation and awareness, they're not on the same level.

But if you start theorizing about spirituality, it will clash with your studies and you'll be in trouble!

To be realistic, you won't avoid a bit of that...it's part of the Way. 

@dice It's only a problem if you take any of your beliefs or theories about ethics as actually true.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Ethics is simply something humans engage in, no different than things as entertainment, business, news, socializing etc. Don't confuse ethics with truth, don't try to get to the bottom of ethics, there is no bottom. Ethics of today are different from the ethics yesterday, the best you can do is to strife for an accurate snapshot of today's ethics with a little bit of personal creativity.

The eventual bottom of everything can only be Truth, that does not mean that we shouldn't engage in activities which are not Truth(since that wouldn't be possible anyway lol).

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

@dice I'm in a similar situation, however I deal with logic, mathematics, proofing theorems and all that stuff in my day to day life on the one hand and being on a spiritual journey on the other. I see it this way, you have to engage in some activity either way and so use everything you do to see the actual nature of reality and get really fascinated with all that is around you and all the lectures you do, it's probably very interesting work.

But see that it is just play, the stuff you do. Some form, some nice concepts that are really interesting and maybe share some really good views on your topics, but that's it. It's not the truth, it's some little part of it, as everything else. Enjoy!

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

Just don't take the ethics and concepts seriously. The truth probably lies within yourself not within the theories. Don't mix them up.