Siim Land

How I Eat One Meal A Day

4 posts in this topic

I eat an OMAD KETO diet and eat only one meal a day. 

• I extend my daily intermittent fasting window to 18-20 hours and eat only at dinner within 2-4 hours.
  • During the day I consume no calories and only a few cups of coffee or tea. 
  • If I'm working out, I have a small protein shake to promote muscle glycogen resynthesis post-workout and to speed up recovery.

I don't do omad for weight loss but because it's very convenient for me. Fasting helps cognition and my brain stays sharp throughout the day.

At dinner, for my one meal a day, I consume 2 large dishes that focus on micronutrient density. Foods on the ketogenic diet are very nutritious and I get all my micros in with additional supplementation.

Check out my full day of eating on the OMAD keto diet!

Stay Empowered

Siim Land

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

Do you never refeed on carbs? I would at leatst do 1 meal a week with 50-150 grams of carbs postworkout. 

If you want to use fast carbs or slow carbs is your choice because both would have different benefits in your situation, fast carbs will be quick out of your system and since you are keto and 1 meal a day for the rest of the week it wouldn't do too much harm for your ketones production. You just have to find the sweet spot of the amount carbs you can eat without doing too much damage. Slow carbs to the other end will cause less of an insulin spike but will be longer in your system so it may be a better choice to go with fast carbs. Since fruit is primarely stored in the liver i would go for a fruit meal or something like that, if your body needs the carbs it can take it from the liver as well. 

I would start with carb refeeds after a couple of weeks fully keto because you will cause less of an damage to your ketones. And you can eat more carbs when you have been strict keto for a couple week. So for example: first 2 to 4 weeks fully keto and from there every week starting with 50 gram carbs postworkout and build up to the sweet spot. 

But it's still your choice if you even want to do carb refeerds :D. 

Edited by mudita

Excellent as always Siim! I got off the one meal a day because i missed fruit too much so now i usually do 2 meals or eating windows in morning or early afternoon i have fruit about 1 hour before resistance exercise or sometimes coconut water then after training i have my post-workout recovery shake and then 1 main meal followed by 1-2minor meals/snacks. I feel great this way and respect for what you provide and share with us Siim

I heard people that do this instead of protein powder use water with 3-5grams BCAAs during workout is that similar?

All the best

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@mudita I sometimes do the cyclical ketogenic diet with my OMAD being high carb and low fat. However, this isn't necessary on the targeted ketogenic diet. The body can resynthesize glycogen without carbs. To be honest, I can eat up to 100 grams of carbs while still remaining ketotic but those extra carbs aren't that effective anyway because my body is mostly using fat for fuel.

@pluto Thanks, man. The thing with fruit is that it can only be metabolized by the liver and it cannot promote your muscle recruitment during workout in any way. You're only regulating your blood sugar and maybe preventing hypoglycemia. On keto, this is avoided because you always have energy. Consuming BCAA's is only worth it if you workout fasted. 

Thanks

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w