Michael119

Enlightenmemt And Depression

5 posts in this topic

Have you guys noticed that enlightenment experiences come easier when you are sad or depressed? Or am I the only one?

hello, @Michael119!

my experiences come easier when i am alone, not necessarily sad or depressed. i had one peak experience when i was deeply sad/depressed/anxious. that peak experience felt like an ego breakdown.

are you judging your solitude with negative labels? i wouldn't! solitude is a blessing. trash culture tells us that being alone is wrong and that we should feel bad about it. are you being caught by that trap?

unborn Truth

Yeah it feels like the ego is less stubborn when i'm sad or depressed. I love being alone btw.

@Michael119

"Happiness is threatening and misery is safe – safe for the ego. Ego can exist only in misery and through misery. Ego is an island surrounded by hell; happiness is threatening to the ego, to the very existence of the ego. Happiness rises like a sun and the ego disappears, evaporates like a dewdrop on the grass leaf. 

"Happiness is the death of the ego. If you want to remain a separate entity from existence as almost everybody is trying to do, you will be afraid of being blissful, cheerful. You will feel guilty in being blissful. You will feel suicidal because you are committing suicide on the psychological level, on the level of the ego. 

"It almost always happens that people enjoy a few moments and then afterwards feel very guilty. The guilt arises because of the ego. The ego starts torturing them, "What are you doing? Have you decided to kill me? And I am your only treasure. Killing me? You will be destroyed. Killing me is destroying yourself."

Osho, The Dhammapada: The Way of the Buddha, Vol. 6, Talk #10

13 hours ago, Michael119 said:

Have you guys noticed that enlightenment experiences come easier when you are sad or depressed? Or am I the only one?

My most powerful experiences came shortly after my most darkest days where i was at a point to end it all.

B R E A T H E