actualized3434

Enlightenment And Experience

85 posts in this topic

@Anna1

Regarding pain vs suffering, this one is incredible O.o:

"It started in November 1948 when a tiny lump the size of a pea was found. In February 1949, this was removed by the ashram doctor, assisted by another devotee doctor. Soon, another growth appeared, which Ramana jokingly characterized as “rising like a lingam.” Ramana never complained and continued with a cheerful calmness. Another operation was done by an eminent surgeon in March. Radium was applied, and, for a time, Ramana’s heath improved, though this was short lived. The doctor told Ramana that a complete amputation of the arm to the shoulder was required, but Ramana did not agree to this. The third and forth operations were performed in August and December, still to no avail, and further weakened Ramana. For one operation, Ramana was offered anesthetic, which he refused. After the operation, a devotee asked Ramana, “Did not that hurt?” to which Ramana answered, “The body had pain. Am I the body?” Other systems of medicine were then tried; all proved fruitless and were stopped by the end of March when all hope was given up. During all this, Ramana remained peaceful, with keen alertness and a luster to his eyes. Not a complaint, not a moan, not a sigh during this entire ordeal. He remained steadfastly rooted in the Self."

https://satramana.org/web/bhagavan-sri-ramana-maharshi/sri-ramana-maharshis-life/

An operation without anesthesia? I am sure many people who call themselves enlightened fail this test... But I doubt that there is actually an ultimate line called enlightenment beyond which there is no progress... May be no one knows, but there is a continuous progress until death. Since, Ramana was enlightened at a very early age, he might have gone too deep...

Edited by actualized3434

13 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

Ramana bless his heart...he had an ashram, no job, no family to care for, no bills to pay, ect, ect, ect. 

Isvara didn't have to bring many thoughts his way. Plus, he found his true Self at 17! Not many mental tendencies to deal with...get my point?

right... thats what I thought... When there are lots of things to deal with, thinking is required.. But I think it will be very minimal, sometimes too slow movement of thoughts.. It has been my experience too, the thought flow in my mind is very slow, after having practiced self-inquiry for a few years

Here is a good resource on the practice which  I do:

http://freddieyam.com/gen2/p/annamalai.enquiry.html

Edited by actualized3434

1 minute ago, actualized3434 said:

right... thats what I thought... When there are lots of things to deal with, thinking is required.. But I think it will be very minimal, sometimes too slow movement of thoughts.. It has been my experience too, the thought flow in my mind is very slow, after having practiced self-inquiry for a few years

Here is a good resource on the practice which that I do:

http://freddieyam.com/gen2/p/annamalai.enquiry.html

Depends on what thoughts you need. Isvara supplies the thoughts. I'm an administrative nurse, have a family, bills, ect. If my thoughts were to slow to a stuper I could not function. My job alone takes analysis and trouble shooting, on a moment to moment basis.

However, I can thought stop at will, as long as no one is talking to me. Lol. 

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@jimrich You are asking me the same question in different ways and I've answered it already, after you asked me the first time. 

Vedanta AND experience. 

Edited by Anna1

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Btw, Vedanta is the science of Self knowledge. Therefore, the lingo doesn't need changed and doesnt need to be improved. Why would I change it? Of course, most words have been translated into English but it's thousands of years old and a time tested way to realize your true nature. Certain wordage I've picked up from my teacher(s). They make sense and are used often, so I use them also. 

However, I'm not a teacher, so may make a mistake while writing a post. So, if you are questioning what I wrote, as in it doesn't make sense to you, then so be it. Doesn't seem like that is the line of questioning you have though.

Also...not "every" post is about Vedanta. I have a diverse spiritual background. So, I write what I write. Just so happens the post you are referring to was inspired by Vedanta and my experience.

Edited by Anna1

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?