thetrut11

Responsability And I

7 posts in this topic

If the i doesn't exist, how is it that i can be responsible for the actions i take or not?

For example: if tomorrow i kill my a person in the street, did i took the choice to kill him? if no, why should i go to jail then?..

Unconscious decisions in the brain  (https://www.mpg.de/research/unconscious-decisions-in-the-brain)

"In the study, published in Nature Neuroscience, participants could freely decide if they wanted to press a button with their left or right hand. They were free to make this decision whenever they wanted, but had to remember at which time they felt they had made up their mind. The aim of the experiment was to find out what happens in the brain in the period just before the person felt the decision was made. The researchers found that it was possible to predict from brain signals which option participants would take up to seven seconds before they consciously made their decision. Normally researchers look at what happens when the decision is made, but not at what happens several seconds before. The fact that decisions can be predicted so long before they are made is a astonishing finding."

Free Will and Neuroscience: From Explaining Freedom Away to New Ways of Operationalizing and Measuring It (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4887467/)

"One could state that free “decision-making draws upon a rich history of accumulated information, manifested in preferences, attitudes and motivations, and is related to the current internal and external environment in which we act. Complete absence of context is impossible”

Unconscious determinants of free decisions in the human brain( https://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v11/n5/abs/nn.2112.html)

"There has been a long controversy as to whether subjectively 'free' decisions are determined by brain activity ahead of time. We found that the outcome of a decision can be encoded in brain activity of prefrontal and parietal cortex up to 10 s before it enters awareness. This delay presumably reflects the operation of a network of high-level control areas that begin to prepare an upcoming decision long before it enters awareness."

According to this the choices are made in an unconscious way before we chose it , so if we don't really make it how is it that we can be responsible for it?

In some sense is like everything is already predetermined? what do you think  @jimrich

You are responsible because your deepest self that you are allows you to make the choices. I choose to wake up because I want to be aware of my choices and consequences. I don't allow my primitive mind access to making big decisions. That mind is for self defense and rare occasions.

SALARINO
Why, I am sure, if he forfeit, thou wilt not take
his flesh: what's that good for?

SHYLOCK
To bait fish withal: if it will feed nothing else,
it will feed my revenge. He hath disgraced me, and
hindered me half a million; laughed at my losses,
mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted my
bargains, cooled my friends, heated mine
enemies; and what's his reason? I am a Jew. Hath
not a Jew eyes? hath not a Jew hands, organs,
dimensions, senses, affections, passions? fed with
the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject
to the same diseases, healed by the same means,
warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as
a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed?
if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison
us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not
revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will
resemble you in that. If a Jew wrong a Christian,
what is his humility? Revenge. If a Christian
wrong a Jew, what should his sufferance be by
Christian example? Why, revenge. The villany you
teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I
will better the instruction.

What if there were no response from a subject? Probably be corpse. But as there is a response how is it best managed? What would it mean to forfeit responsibility or to say forfeit suffering? 

@thetrut11 The person with high awareness would not engage in the conduct.  So, even though it is probably predetermined, the key is increasing awareness to avoid egoic obstacles.  Even if that sense of control is illusory, it is still probably wise to indulge in the illusion on a practical level.

Edited by Joseph Maynor