PeteS

Hey Leo! Are You Really Right About 27 Qualities Of All Succesful People? - Latest Video Commentary

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

This is my quick reflection about the latest video from Leo called "27 qualities of ALL succesful people". Somehow it strikes me that the success definition conveyed in this video is just great career with lots of money. One of the qualities of a "succesful man" claimed by Leo is that he typically commits so much time to his success (read: career) that he is ready to sacrifice whatever it takes to get there. I.e. he gets less time with his family, less sex etc - just as described in the video.

Now the question: is the guy making such big sacrifices for his success still succesful?  Maybe this is where struggle and depression just begins for an average family guy who desperately wants to push his own career forward while still finding time to play with his kids after work. And maybe the fact he needs to make tradeoffs here is the source of his suffering?

What I mean is that this video is a 1-dimensional view of one's "success" defined by pushing your career. It assumes a man has only one purpose in life on which he can focus 100% of his powers. It does not take into account multiple roles a man in today's world needs to take at the same time and how little time he has for it. And yes - to be "succesful" - he needs to make ends meet in all the roles (i.e. father, husband, entrepreneur etc.)

While this video may be quite practical for a single person with no social commitments, I believe it won't apply to an average Joe with lots of roles in his life.  I would encourage Leo to post another video to define success qualities for "multithreaded" men ;-)

PS. I hugely appreciate the knowledge in your vids. Keep up the good work!

I was mostly speaking to the ordinary notion of success that folks have.

If you want spiritual success, or family success, or hobby success, or relationship success, you'll still need many of those qualities.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Just a question. Atm im studying for my exams and was going to watch you video next week, because I want to be able to experience it fully. So maybe you considered this in your video, but isn't there a problem in general to define what successful people do. Beside the topic to be happy with your life, but achieving "success".

Nassim Taleb considered, quoting I think it was Cicero, that you'd make a empiric mistake; The example cicero used, was a ship that was sinking - all the people who didn't die in the process where praying to "god". So they said, they were saved because (!) they prayed. But they didn't consider all the people who died praying. This actually means: Did you think of all the people who had these "qualities" and still did not succeed? In general advices like this are useful, but it might be that the title is misleading. As I see things, you should give advice what you should not do. Our brain isn't working that way, but these kind of advices are most likely to be right (if something like that exists). Just the same with Gauß and Mandelbrot. 

Edited by Flare

I have to say, that video just had a huge impact on me, a very positive one.  It gave a lot of context about myself that I have been looking for.  I have always looked at a job as a means to my end, and have been mystified that others didn't.  I have always been willing to make sacrifices to achieve goals, and have been frustrated with those that weren't willing to do the same.  I also realized how judgmental I have been with people who didn't have these values.  Thanks for the list, Leo.  Love your work.

@Flare Making a study of success is a definite must in this life. Like with everything, don't go overboard and only chase success. But for some people and where they're at in life, they just want some basic advice about success in career and biz. Not every video is meant to lead to Buddha-hood.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Success requires persistence and sacrifice.

Only staying on your comfort zone only makes you more limited by your own abilities.

Energy is the currency for spiritual progress. 

The material success always demands a big exchange of energy in return.

So I believe that if we wanna feel with more energy so we have to sacrifice some material world items.

Don't forget that when you don't have anytime for yourself you're poor at some level too !@PeteS @Leo Gura @Northdoc @Flare

@Leo Gura Everyone can define the word success in their own terms. And, I bet than 25 / 27 qualities would be the pillars of most people's road to success.

I think success means different things to different people.

There is certainly a lot of focus in personal development on 'career success'. But that is only one facet of life.

To me the ultimate success is peace of mind. Calm and peace in the present moment, and every moment..however each moment is presented to us. Whether or not I have some successful career, or family life, or social network, none of that matters if, regardless of my circumstances, I have peace of mind.

This is why most of my focus at the moment is on my psychology and not my circumstances.

The circumstances of one's life are just circumstances. It is how we perceive and react to them that defines how we feel about them. Ultimately success comes from perceiving the world in a constructive, positive light regardless of them.

I find the preoccupation with turning life-purpose in to a career a huge distraction from appreciating the beauty of life, reality and the world around us. I think it's a double-edged sword. The very pursuit of a 'successful' life-purpose can be just another neurotic pursuit and distraction from reality and that all elusive peace of mind and happiness that we are all ultimately seeking.

Edited by FindingPeace
clarity

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

Success in life in regards toward career /money? Definitive you have to sacrify more meaningful in life for to be successful. I disagree .