Progress

Work Vs Hobbies

4 posts in this topic

[Hobbies and Work] How many hours do you devote to your hobbies? Movies, shows, sports, weaving, painting, gaming and reading. For some of us, we stumble upon hobbies that we find ourselves investing hundreds if not thousands of ours into. Some of us become even more obsessive that we start mastering the activity itself. We start seeing the structure, patterns, holes in the wall and intricate details of the activity. Of course there is some suffering along the way but the overall obsessive nature of the beauty we see far outweighs it. Afterall, why else would we do it.

In an ironic sense, this obsession is largely fueled by non-attachment to the overall outcome. It is done out of recreation despite how sometimes much more genuine blood, sweat and creativity  comes from our hobbies. Hobbies become work when we put discipline into the brakes, when we time ourselves, set goals and in a way sacrifice the greater good(Varies greatly).

In modern society, everyone is socially required to have a "respectable work." As much as it is a social problem, it comes down to an identity one. People seek to fill the void of who they are and what they want by having a "reputable career"(Engineer/Lawyer/Doctor) etc. It is to many no more than an identity shelter because when the subconscious asks "What did you do with your life?","What have you contributed?","Are you fulfilled?","Are you a successful human being?" "Do you love yourself?","Is this the greatest version of yourself?"- We can lie to ourselves well enough to avoid the real issues meanwhile not taking any social risks amongst family and friends, albeit sometimes at great financial risk.

It is during these times when what to do with hobbies becomes a crossroad decision. Some people abandon their natural desires and joys in fear of protecting their social identity. Their study and work demands that they stay long hours and they abide in order to secure themselves against the fact they have no real clue about who they are and what they want. Yet others not understanding themselves use their hobbies as crutches, They turn their hobbies into work. Others find a balance, usually leaning towards identity safety net and hobbies on the side to feed their furious subconscious. The last two are cases where the hobbies may return fullforce and even more obsessive, although at that point it would have become great enough that even the person thinks they're doing work but really they're just being insanely possessed by their hobbies.

So what is the quickest way to being insanely possessed by a hobby? The future is a blank page and It seems I'm the only who developed this view of hobbies and work. Separating it by discipline and intuitive desire. So what do I suggest? I believe when we fully fiddle with hobbies and explore the world, we will stumble upon that one thing that we aren't just good at, we're brilliant at it, sometimes only us being able to see it. Of course when I say fiddle with it, Some hobbies require short term work(discipline) before you see the light of it per say. Some hobbies turned work may redissolve into even greater hobbies when the discipline becomes part of the fun instead of a necessary evil.

Do-Your-Hobbies-Become-Your-Work.jpg

My hobby became my business and I have never looked back ever since. I love what I do and getting paid to persue my passion/hobby. 

@MIA.RIVEL Yea I just mainly wanted to point out, hobbies should never turn into "work" and instead an absolutely obsessive hobby that can be considered "work" socially.

@MIA.RIVEL May I ask what hobby that was? I do some art in my spare time and am cautious to make it a career. Any advise?