Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jordan wang

System For Learning And Retaining Information From Leo's Videos

7 posts in this topic

I was just wondering what is the best way to retain and apply all the PD information:

How do I develop a system?

for example: when I watch Leo Gura's videos, should I categorize information into categories such as: exercise, core concepts...

and write them down in point form on a word document? read it once per week?

what do you guys do man?

What is the best way to organize the information so that I remember it, get it into my subconscious mind, and apply the concepts in my real life? 

does anyone have an effective system that you can explain in detail?

I know this is a broad question, but if someone can share how he does this, your experience that would be really helpful.

thank you.

Check out my self development & adventure youtube channel and improve with me!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1w32b0EuoBkLobBkqX65xw?view_as=subscriber

@Jordan wang

There are many approaches to retaining Leo's videos. But I think in essence what it is about is understanding the big picture. 

To understand the big picture, you should try to connect the dots between core concepts he talks about. The best method for doing that, in my opinion, is taking notes.

Sometimes, Leo also has a worksheet at the end of a video which is beneficial to fill out mindfully. 

If all you hear in a video is abstract theory, try to bridge the gap between your  practical every day life and the abstract theory. This requires deep understanding and attention to detail with regards to the theory. 

Ask yourself at the end of the video: 

What are the main points? 

How are these connected? 

How can I apply what I've learned? 

In the beginning, it might be difficult for you to give accurate and meaningful answers to these questions. That's okay.  It is a proces and you do not need to be perfect. This is difficult so be patient and follow the proces. 

@Christian How about in other stuff? For example: Tony robbin's books and courses, topics on how to invest and rock a business, Useful information that I get from videos, books and courses about how to learn and memorize, psychology, health, relationships, how to influence the world...

How do you retain and make sure you apply all those information? I need a system like this so that I don't just listen to concepts all day and actually take some action. 

Just tell me what you do, I won't necessarily follow it word by word, but I will give me a sense of what direction I would go.

what's happening right now is that I am listening and reading to books and audiobooks, watching useful videos, but at the end of the day I find myself not applying the concepts anyway. 

I find taking notes quit useless, I don't think notes is the best strategy for me to approach this. Any ideas?

Please help me?

Check out my self development & adventure youtube channel and improve with me!!!

@Jordan wang

In my opinion, the best thing you can do is to create a system that allows you to take action and apply the concepts. That system in itself demands an approach where you balance theory and practice. Too much theory is bad. Too much practice is bad. Balance is the key. But it is all about dynamic balance. That means sometimes more theory, sometimes more practice. Not necessarily 50/50. 

If you say "I will just take action when I know the theory", that is a trap. The extend to which you can understand theory depends mostly on the action you take in the field you are learning about. Example: Let's say you want to learn about relationships. So you study some RSD, but you have approach anxiety and take no action at all. That is the wrong approach because the theory will not be placed in any real-life context and therefore it is meaningless. Instead, the better approach is to go out and do game in field, listen to theory, go out again, analyze, and eventually you become very skilled at pickup. 

Hope this helped you in some way :D 

I just use my intuition and track progress in a journal. I review the journal to keep me focused. 

I study something if it makes me feel curious and full of wonder. I enjoy that energy and try to keep it close most of the time :D

The system I've set up is more of an experiment. First I use on of Leo's points as my hypothesis, then I design a way to test it. After I've set up my experiment I go ahead and do it and record the results, then I find a way to interpret the results and see what I can improve.

Here's one of my tests not too long ago. In Japan there are plenty of game centers and people waste their time and money on those things, so I thought it was the perfect spot to test Leo's theory of excitement VS gratification, you know, his whole talk on happiness. I went in there and picked one of those crane games and nailed one of those plushies which I wanted, but during the whole time I was recording my feelings inside my mind, which I played back afterwards. Then it all came clear that indeed the reason people get addicted is because they believe that winning the prize will lock in their feelings of excitement while playing the game, but since that doesn't work, they have to keep the addiction going by seeking more and more excitement. So by doing this quick experiment I proved that Leo's theory was true, and I can be more mindful in similar situations so not to let too much excitement take over my mind.

@Christian

I know I need to find a balance in between theory and practice. I am pretty much mostly theory right now. But I just don't know where to start with the practice. 

I downloaded Leo's videos on my MP3 and listen to them on the go, most of the times when I listens to fascinating ideas I don't even write them down. And I forget about them soon after. Some part of the information is still stuck in my mind though, it's just that it is really likely for me to never think of it again unless I listen to that same audio again.

I know that a good way to apply the information would be to whenever I hear a good concept, sit down and think about how I can apply the concepts into my mind when it is fresh in my mind. write the actions I need to take on a piece of paper, and remind myself to do it everyday for 21 days until it becomes a habit.

but there are two problems with this approach: 

1, there are soooo many concepts I need to learn and apply, doing this for everyone of them would take me decades!

2, I am busy most of the times, when I listen to those concepts, sometimes I am in the middle of doing something, and don't have time to do this since it is too time consuming.

I was just wondering if there are simpler ways to retain and apply information better! 

Because I will be a lifelong learner, might as well learn how to apply the information that I learn into my real life effectively from the beginning!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Leo Gura Can You please tell me how you retain and apply information to your life from the books and videos that you watch? It would be really helpful! 

Do you have a system that you use that you find really effective?

apply dozens of concepts into your life easily?

Jordan wang