Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joshe

Adobe Suite Replacement

9 posts in this topic

For my work, I have to pay Adobe $70/mo for Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat. I've been hoping for good replacements for a few years and finally have found a very promising solution. 

https://getartcraft.com/

You can set these apps up as portable versions by pointing Claude or ChatGPT at the repo and telling it to set them up: https://github.com/storytold. (If you don't already have Claude/ChatGPT on your system to do stuff for you, time to join the revolution. ) Or you can just download straight from the website. 

My main concern was that it wouldn't handle PSD files correctly, but it seems to work perfectly so far. 

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is wants to stop shelling out to Adobe. $840/yr savings. 

The creators used Opus 5.5 to recreate all this. The team is constantly adding features that match Adobe's. 

Z53vyXS.png

 

Edited by Joshe

What if this is just fascination + identity + seriousness being inflated into universal importance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ill be honest, back when i used Windows, or an OS that could run Adobe and Apple products, etc., nothing really beat Adobe, or atleast, the old photoshop stuff from back in the day... w that said, now if i were to use something id do everything in watchamakalit, gimp or w/ image magivk, etc., like free linux tools, cause theres nothing specific im tryina do... but, if you need all that illustrator and all those other tools, im not actually sure there can be a replacement since adobe really revolutionized those areas. like, id be surprised if you find anything remotely like their tools, unfortunately. With that said, i have tried some cheap alt., tools, but they werent very good, granted this was like over 6 years ago, so you never know i guess.


"Sed veritas ex ore meo, quia ego asinus et mortuus"  (But truth [comes] from my mouth, because I am an ass and dead)

— Ugo Foscolo, Didymi Clerici Prophetae Minimi Hypercalypseos Liber Singularis, Caput XV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Joshe said:

i guess it depends on wat this is for, as when you say adobe suite, im thinking all hundred of those little programs they made for very specific jobs around like, drsign and illustration and such. thats wat i was meaning... but if theres something more specific you meant, like digital sortve animation arena, thats something very different.


"Sed veritas ex ore meo, quia ego asinus et mortuus"  (But truth [comes] from my mouth, because I am an ass and dead)

— Ugo Foscolo, Didymi Clerici Prophetae Minimi Hypercalypseos Liber Singularis, Caput XV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Joshe said:

My main concern was that it wouldn't handle PSD files correctly, but it seems to work perfectly so far. 

Ill be honest i dont know much about photoshop or psd files, etc, as im assuming thats what .psd means.

You know whats funny though, i get emails from people who are still tryina work on these dead projects, like stuff that could really up-end all of these things, that is like, working on old OS, and image manipulation tools, like open source work that i once had subscribed to on github a long while ago, every now and then someone is asking if the project maintainer will accept their fix/patch, like its like... The drive to work on these things is there, but not enough ppl are on the same page. I just kinda laugh, as i find it funny. sad but funny in a way, cause its like, alot opportunities are there, nd everyones like, eh i dont really care.

Edited by kavaris

"Sed veritas ex ore meo, quia ego asinus et mortuus"  (But truth [comes] from my mouth, because I am an ass and dead)

— Ugo Foscolo, Didymi Clerici Prophetae Minimi Hypercalypseos Liber Singularis, Caput XV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ha, when you said "suite" i thought u meant like this stuff, Like... fkin, "Dreamweaver" or somethin (i dont even recall what dreamweaver was...) Like all this sht, neverending adobe stuff,

IMG_20261009_000500.jpg


"Sed veritas ex ore meo, quia ego asinus et mortuus"  (But truth [comes] from my mouth, because I am an ass and dead)

— Ugo Foscolo, Didymi Clerici Prophetae Minimi Hypercalypseos Liber Singularis, Caput XV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kavaris Sorry, I didn't even check out that website I shared. I figured it would have made clear what they were building. 

The repo I pointed to has: 

CTM6uPp.png

And they also built: 

mFuNm1b.png

So, they didn't replace the entire Adobe suite, but basically their primary tools. Dreamweaver was a WYSIWYG code editor. It kind of sucks and isn't that popular anymore, so it didn't make the cut. 

If all you're doing is creating your own work, you can get by with all those tools you mentioned. But if clients are handing you PSD files (Photoshop files) or .ai (Illustrator files), up till now, Photoshop ripoffs couldn't open those files and keep everything intact, which forced tons of people to stick with the Adobe ecosystem. That's changing now, and I'm 100% here for it. Fuck Adobe. Price hikes nearly every year or two.

AI is putting an end to their monopoly. 

 

Edited by Joshe

What if this is just fascination + identity + seriousness being inflated into universal importance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Joshe said:


 ... but if clients are handing you PSD files (Photoshop files) or .ai (Illustrator files), up till now, Photoshop ripoffs couldn't open those files and keep everything intact, which forced tons of people to stick with the Adobe ecosystem. That's changing now, and I'm 100% here for it. Fuck Adobe. Price hikes nearly every year or two.

AI is putting an end to their monopoly. 

Oh thats kinda interesting. i didnt know this... but nevertheless, its intriguing. Perhaps ill look into, as i get what you are looking towards now.

Edited by kavaris

"Sed veritas ex ore meo, quia ego asinus et mortuus"  (But truth [comes] from my mouth, because I am an ass and dead)

— Ugo Foscolo, Didymi Clerici Prophetae Minimi Hypercalypseos Liber Singularis, Caput XV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Acrobat, but Adobe seems to make everything else over-complicated that I've tried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I like Acrobat, but Adobe seems to make everything else over-complicated that I've tried.

Ill be honest, i forget what actobat, illustrator, and all those were... i know theres a design to it, tho the last time i used photoshop, it was called like Photoshop CS4 or something, like it was a "CS#" Line, that im not even sure if they call it that now, or whats going on.... Do yous kno?


"Sed veritas ex ore meo, quia ego asinus et mortuus"  (But truth [comes] from my mouth, because I am an ass and dead)

— Ugo Foscolo, Didymi Clerici Prophetae Minimi Hypercalypseos Liber Singularis, Caput XV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0