Mellowmarsh

Changing our Minds about Nonduality

55 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Wilhelm44 said:

For me radical nonduality is just like a doorway really, it woke me up to the fact how much I have been identifying with conditioned thoughts as literally being me.

It simply got me to see what's here, what's always been here, which can't be named, because it's not a concept.

Indeed that’s what I personally took away from the study. The relief was the best feeling, like I used to be so self conscious that I felt shame to be myself for fear of being harshly judged and feeling like I had to behave a certain way else I was punished for not towing the line.

But now I have too much confidence knowing there’s no one behind those millions of eyes that I thought was looking at me.

Now I just interact with people as if they are cardboard cutouts. It’s unbelievably freeing, and no one suspects I’m doing it which I find hilarious.


 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mellowmarsh said:

Indeed that’s what I personally took away from the study. The relief was the best feeling, like I used to be so self conscious that I felt shame to be myself for fear of being harshly judged and feeling like I had to behave a certain way else I was punished for not towing the line.

But now I have too much confidence knowing there’s no one behind those millions of eyes that I thought was looking at me.

Now I just interact with people as if they are cardboard cutouts. It’s unbelievably freeing, and no one suspects I’m doing it which I find hilarious.

Beautiful, thank you.

But now I'm still curious, which specific critique/s of nonduality in that video, did you agree with or find relevant in some way ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wilhelm44 said:

Beautiful, thank you.

But now I'm still curious, which specific critique/s of nonduality in that video, did you agree with or find relevant in some way ?

I agree with Tim when he said that nonduality is unliveable for the human. He mentioned that others do exist and you know darn well they exist and is why you lock your doors at night or when you go on holiday, in case you come back to find squatters taking over your property. I thought that saying others do exist was a very relevant point that I agreed with. 

Edited by Mellowmarsh

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Mellowmarsh said:

Yeah it’s all starting to get a bit clubby, like if you’re not a member you’re not allowed in. Members only videos now have to pay to get access to the information. It’s always about the money, that’s why I can’t be arsed being a content creator. It starts to get too competitive which is not how I roll. 

To be honest I don't mind if teachers have a subscription service for some of their videos. In principle I have nothing against spiritual teachers making some money, those that find value and have the ability to pay, then why not. Most spiritual teachers who have integrity have a healthy balance of free stuff and paid for services. 

The thing that I don't like is when they do a critique of other spiritual teachers, but don't have the kahunas to open the conversation for non members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wilhelm44 said:

To be honest I don't mind if teachers have a subscription service for some of their videos. In principle I have nothing against spiritual teachers making some money, those that find value and have the ability to pay, then why not. Most spiritual teachers who have integrity have a healthy balance of free stuff and paid for services. 

The thing that I don't like is when they do a critique of other spiritual teachers, but don't have the kahunas to open the conversation for non members.

I don’t mind them making money, if that’s what they want to do, I’m not against it. It’s their prerogative and it’s also up to the paying customer to decide to part with their money if they think they are getting some value for it.

 

It’s just not some business venture that interests me, that’s all. 


 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mellowmarsh said:

I agree with Tim when he said that nonduality is unliveable for the human. He mentioned that others do exist and you know darn well they exist and is why you look your doors at night or when you go on holiday, in case you come back to find squatters taking over your property. I thought that saying others do exist was a very relevant point that I agreed with. 

Yeah, I feel like there's a never ending refinement of the human in a way. 

9 minutes ago, Wilhelm44 said:

But now I have too much confidence knowing there’s no one behind those millions of eyes that I thought was looking at me.

How do you reconcile your two comments above ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mellowmarsh said:

It’s just not some business venture that interests me, that’s all.

Fair enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wilhelm44 said:

Yeah, I feel like there's a never ending refinement of the human in a way. 

How do you reconcile your two comments above ?

By knowing the truth and at the same time tying up my camel to coin a phrase.


 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mellowmarsh said:

By knowing the truth and at the same time tying up my camel to coin a phrase.

Nice :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mellowmarsh said:

By knowing the truth and at the same time tying up my camel to coin a phrase.

It’s like I live with only one foot in this loony bin, while the other one is in my mouth. Lol

( my personal joke ) 

Edited by Mellowmarsh

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wilhelm44 said:

Nice :)

🙂 ditto 


 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mellowmarsh said:

It’s like I live with only one foot in this loony bin, while the other one is in my mouth. Lol

( my personal joke ) 

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Wilhelm44 said:

:D

😉🫶


 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mellowmarsh said:

Try not to take this too seriously. I openly admit I’m just a parroting idiot repeating stuff I’ve read somewhere as if I believed it. I’m a poser. No big deal.

And no I don’t think I’m special, but at the same time it’s true, not many people grasp what non duality is pointing to, my god even you must agree with that, how many people have you met in your lifetime who fully understand nonduality?

Understanding non-duality is very simple: there is no absolute separation between you and reality; subject and object are the same reality. This is obvious, and anyone can grasp it; what is far more difficult is experiencing it.

What I have said a hundred times is that the notion that the "self" is merely a thought, an illusion, actually hinders the experience of non-duality, because the self is, quite obviously, a real structure.

Furthermore, true mystical openness goes beyond merely experiencing non-duality; it requires a moment of absolute surrender for the Totality to reveal itself. Newman and his ilk have never (I am absolutely certain of this) taken that step. Neither Ralston. Al hallaj did it, for example 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I make a distinction between nondualism and nonduality.  Most of what people think is nonduality is nondualism.  Nonduality is not a doctrine IMO, but nondualism is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now