Anicca

Pros And Cons Of Studying In University

10 posts in this topic

Hey you!

I have been struggeling alot with the issue of whether or not to go to university. My Life Purpose is to "introduce self-actualization to schools, reforming the education system". I am also working with the founders of a new school subject called "Glück" (eng. happiness, fulfillment) to give seminars to teachers.

I have now applied for a psychology bachelor though because of multiple reasons:

- Germany, the country I live in is set up such that people with degrees have a much better chance to earn money and people without degrees are often not taken seriously

- It is free to study here

- I will get into an academic environment with inspiring people around me

- I only 19 years old and there is much to learn

Anyway, since there are so many other things to do instead and since I got a taste of that during a half year travel trough southeast asia I am feeling like I am trowing away so many awesome options... I could grow myself faster joining an ashram or becoming an entrepreneur right away.

Also I really have to comprimize with what I learn: Half of my studies are about math and statistics which does not appeal to me too much. Does that fall under the category of "accepting drudgery"? Aand I heard Leo saying academia does not really get closer to truth and conciousness both of them being top values of mine...

What is your opinion about that? Maybe some of you guys have been at the same crossroad in life :)

@Anicca The question is: Do you have enough money to learn by yourself?

Or can you work for a good mentor?

If not and you don't know exactly where you want to go, college might be a good compromise :) 

one does not exclude the other ;) student's life can be pretty chill if you want it to be. in your free time you can work on yourself and your life purpose. I am not a big fan of the education system, since it's based on pure knowledge in the sense of learning stuff by heart much like a computer rather than on thinking, creativity and association skills. But we live in a society, specially in western culture, where a college degree opens many doors and leaves people with no classic education very little chance. 

whatever arises, love that

@Anicca It's easy to argue the positives but I'm gonna emphasize the negative and it's up to you to figure out your own answer answer. September of this year marks the beginning of my 3rd/final year of my philosophy bachelor's degree.

Let me tell you some insights from being in an academic environment for 2 years:

• Yes, there are inspiring people in academia, but it's the same with any other location. University is not special in any way. I bet I could've met the same amount or even more awesome people if I had been on my own. It's a matter of how proactive you are.
  • You won't learn about psychology more in college than if your were researching on your own. Trust me. All they teach you is available online. University just keeps you from slacking off and keeps you accountable with the work that you do. It's good if you are a lazy type. You can just go to a student enrolled there, ask for their curriculum and get the texts yourself from the internet for free. 
    • Also, a lot of people say that having a professor can help you understand concepts you wouldn't understand otherwise on your own. That's entirely false. You can find easy to read summaries even for the most difficult readings (ex. The Critique of Pure Reason, The Phenomenology of Spirit)
  • Nobody cares about degrees anymore. If you are going to university solely for the degree, failure and wasted time are guaranteed 99%.
    • You don't need any degree to start a school. Learn what's needed and then start an (education) business. The academic ladder is just as soul sucking as the corporate ladder - if you thought that philosophers and scientists are more developed than regular people, you're gonna be in for a rude awakening - all of them are still caught up in dogmas, social conditioning, emotional problems, political games etc. - if you regard ”regular” people as being chimps, academics are just more intellectual chimps or chimps with more information that you can find on google in 3 seconds
      • I've watched them up close and personal and I usually have conversation's with Phd's in science and philosophy on a day to day basis.
  • If you want to get in academia, you are just getting into another deep rabbit hole of politics and social hierarchy. Just more people throwing shit at each other, trying to prove their own theory and disregarding all else, chasing nobel prizes and what not. The search of truth is not what it used to be in antiquity. Start an educational youtube channel and create a website instead. Start to create content.

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

@Dan Arnautu I really like all your arguments, on point!

I guess it really depends on what your life purpose is. I mean, in some cases there is no other possibility. For example if you want to become a doctor. What I mean, is that you can work on your degree with the life purpose on your mind and do the rest additionally.

It really depends on what you want to be. @Anicca you have to find out whether you absolutely need a degree for your purpose or not. If so, then don't be discouraged by it. just get through with it and keep your spiritual growth rolling. if not, then @Dan Arnautu is completely right. 

the important thing is: if you decide to go to college, don't let yourself being sucked into all the dogmas and social conditionings that come with the educational system. 

Edited by phoenix666

@phoenix666 Good input. 

@Anicca Also, be careful. Academics are very sneaky in making you adopt their beliefs. They have the rhetoric and social skills to do that even though they are unconscious to themselves doing it. They for example can easily make you disregard all eastern teachings as hippy woo woo stuff or make you antagonize different paradigms of thinking or religions and thus resulting in you becoming close minded and not being able to adopt different perspectives (just because an intellectual told you so). --> funny thing is, they also tell you to not listen to authorities for authority's sake ;) 

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

@phoenix666 @Dan Arnautu @el_duderino Thank you guys for so much valuable input! I will definitely reevaluate my options and put more emphasis on developing myself on my own without relying too much on University.

Also I will research new niches of modern education and walk the small middle way so that I can found a business that on the one hand earns money but on the other hand still really thoroughly educates people. That's one thing I really admire about Actualized.org.

@Annica No problem. Carefully evaluate the pros and cons.

For me it was a good strategic move to go to university for a number of different reasons (earning a degree not being even one of them, lol). 

It can be a good strategic move if:

• You don't need to pay for it (in my country higher education is entirely free of taxes for a limited number of people)
    • If this is the case, you can use 10% of the time towards schoolwork and the rest to discover yourself, grow and learn to live independently (going directly into the workforce won't give you time to figure out what you really want and learn).
      • I used these soon to be 3 years in order to get a headstart on life and figure out what I want from it and who I really am. I didn't party or do anything like that. Do this only if you or your parents don't have to pay for the education, but only for your expenses.

This is the plan I followed in these 3 years:

• My parents couldn't bother and influence me and my decisions/mindset or changes I want to make in my life. Being alone in a different city helped with looking at things objectively
  • I planned to become a knowledge sponge (read over 40-50 books on topics ranging from nonduality to business, to marketing, sales, mastering emotions, handling people etc.) --> aka getting a headstart in life.
  • I started to study with a music career coach and guitar teacher in order to get my financial situation and professional career handled as soon as I step out into the real world
  • I started doing self-improvement hardcore because this may be the only chance I get at a massive amount of free time before a 30-40 year career span. (you need to build the infrastructure for your future success and build a solid theoretical and practical foundation for your life)
    • This includes:
      • changing my diet/habits/self defeating mindsets entirely
      • changing the way I approach life
      • getting to know about how human psychology works etc.
  • I started to distinguish fake friends and temporary friends from real friends
  • I started to do a lot of exercises and courses to figure out what my strengths are, what my weaknesses are, what needs to be fixed, what doesn't, what my long term vision is, what my goals are, what I want my life to look like, what are my unconscious beliefs etc

You get the big idea. This can be a huge chance to become one of the 1% of people who get to live life to it's highest potential if used wisely. But it's also context specific. Again, weigh the pros and the cons for YOU and not for the average psychology student or youngster or whatever.

@Dan Arnautu sounds like you're the perfect strategic motherfucker (cit. Leo) :D

As much I dislike the structure and the way they make you 'learn' things, I am so thankful that I have the opportunity to go to college. (In my country we pay very little money for it) As much as I'm looking forward to start with my dream job, I found out last summer that the college years are in fact the best opportunity to really do a lot of studying. By that I do not mean the stuff you have to learn for your exams, but massive self development work. Whilst I loved doing my first internship last summer, I noticed that with the tight working schedule there is not much room for anything else left. So you really need to build up a solid foundation before you enter the 'working world'. College gives you the opportunity to immerse yourself in research and inner work. 

Good luck on your way, Anicca :)

@Dan Arnautu  Man, I thought quite similar about many points you mentioned and other points inpired me to go and do that for myself.@phoenix666 Both of you opened my eyes to the fact that this time is perfect for a headstart in your self-actualization endeavours and not the other way around!

I am really grateful for this community and the time you took to reply :)

Keep rocking!