Henri

Blood-pressure Pills

7 posts in this topic

My girlfriend needs medicine to lower her blood-pressure.

She is not responding very well at those pills, she tried already several different ones.

Is anyone familiar with alternatives? 

well there is no doubt that exercising lowers blood pressure, so having a more active lifestyle mixed with healthy foods would really benefit if she not already have that :) 

Which blood pressure pills? How old is she? Is she hypertonic oder hypotonic? Beta-Blockers? ACE-Inhibitors? Which compound?

There is a variety as you see, you have to be more specific. What means "not responding well"? Which side effects etc. This is an equation with many variables. In general her physician has a reason for prescribing it, it is better to talk with him about alternatives.

Side effects can have many causes too, it could be eating habits, an inhibited enzyme because of her genetics (lowering the dose will help here) etc.

There are so many blood-pressure pills and so many ones to try that if the first one does not work, you can try another. It is very important to keep the blood pressure in check so that the kidneys and heart do not get overloaded. 

Most important things are of course getting excess weight off (if she has any), eat as well as she can (low sodium, mostly vegetables and fruit, minimal animal products or preferably none), exercise and keeping active. Meditation and lessening of stress helps of course as well. There are actually quite many things that one can do. I personally have to be on some blood pressure medication due to my kidney condition but I have actually been able to reduce the amount of my blood pressure pills over 50% by vegan diet.

Thanks for all the replies. 

A healthy living is the best guarantee to lower the blood-pressure, without needing chemical stuff.

On 18 February 2016 at 3:13 PM, Henri said:

Thanks for all the replies. 

A healthy living is the best guarantee to lower the blood-pressure, without needing chemical stuff.

It depends what is causing the HBP. There are many illnessed that unfortunately affect bloodpressure. But yes, generally you are right and whatever the reason is, healty lifestyle will always help.