Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elisabeth

Lost Motivation When Asked To Figure Out The Impact Statement

6 posts in this topic

Hi, so I've done a big chunk of the life purpose course, I have my values and strengths and even the zone of genius (although I kind of have two opposite directions there, which I haven't figured out how to connect). But I'm totally stuck with the impact I'd like to have. I've been pretty passionate working through the course, and I learned a lot of great stuff about myself, but arriving at this point I lost all fuel. When I ask myself what impact I'd like to have, my mind goes blank. It's almost like I do not want to figure out any impact statement. It's rather weird.

I do have an issue with giving, so that's probably part of it, but hardly all of it.

Has anyone worked through something similar?

Your answer maybe hidden in your personal definition is of the word impact.

Write down what that word means to you. You might find what is holding you back.

@Elisabeth Sounds like fear. I told ya you'd be afraid for your own greatness. The potential there is so GREAT, your mind doesn't even want to go there.

Bust through that shit.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Visitor That's a good idea. English is not my first language so I've been doing a lot of translating back and forth anyways and playing around with language anyways, as the meaning of words describing feelings or values is often not clear at all. I'll do it with the word impact or contribution and try to figure out the meaning.

@Leo Gura Thank you :) I have a lot of fear in a lot of areas in my life. So while it doesn't feel like fear at the first  glance, it could be fear. It has a way to cause paralysis without showing itself clearly.

If that's true, I may need some kind of workaround. I could try to tackle the contemplation after doing some yoga or relaxation. Maybe I'll go watch some documentary or some conference about contemporary issues just to get my mind started about how people help people.  I could also start by making a list of the issues I see around me without telling myself that I have to pick one right now.

My physics studies have been working kind of as a life purpose in the past years, but I always studied for the sake of "this is a nice theory", never for the real impact I could have, and also I've never had enough fuel to be excellent. I'm currently doing phd in a the field of mesoscopic physics/ quantum theory which has (most directly) the potential to advance electronics (single molecule transistors etc.), but I feel that's not quite sufficient, or something is off there. I guess I'm lacking the big picture, and I may want to engage with the social stuff too.

A form of recklesssaness may work as your gateway to bypass fear. Then on, you must get your act back together and be a responsible motherfucker again.

Good luck.

Excellence is the same as habit. When you constantly do something, you might become excellent at it. -Aristotle

4 hours ago, Veggies said:

A form of recklesssaness may work as your gateway to bypass fear. Then on, you must get your act back together and be a responsible motherfucker again. Good luck.

:) Ok, I have no idea how to apply recklessness to bypass fear when figuring out life purpose, but I'm doing just that with finally moving away from my parents now. Thanks for encouragement.