Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TJ Reeves

Eeg Recordings Comparing My Brain On 5-meo-dmt To A Deeply Calm Meditative State

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I recorded my brain waves during a 33mg 5-MEO trip using a cheap EEG device called Muse

I think this is the first place someone has ever posted a normal EEG recording of 5-MEO DMT.

The closest thing that I could find is from this paper, where they found that 5-MEO causes firing in all parts of the brain at once using QEEG, which is slightly different.

Materials and Procedure:

- I've used the Muse headband for a few months now to perform over 100 meditations. I got the idea to use it based off of the finder's course Leo recommended. 

- Before using Muse, I had been meditating everyday for close to a year

- To trip, I laid down on my mattress, which I moved into my walk-in closet.

- Inside the closet everything is pitch black and no sounds can be heard.

- I also did not have trip sitter to look over me. Trip-sitters are impediments to ego death experiences: you need to be able to go into the insanity of pure awareness without the worry of someone else watching you. 

Data:

A normal, non-meditative state:

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

One of my better mindful-breathing meditations. Noticed how calm my brain signals are here: 

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

A sober, do-nothing meditation in preparation for 5-MEO. I was a little nervous for what was going to come:

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

33mg of 5-MEO-DMT-HCL. Note: the session ended early because I threw off the device due to it distracting me as I broke through.  

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Data Observations:

- My supposedly "good" meditation practice with Muse looks nothing like the 5-MEO trip. 

- The 5-MEO reading looks almost exactly like the stage 3 and 4 waves found in deep sleep

- The calm state of Mind is all-over the place. 

Subjective Observations:

- I entered the realm of the void where I lost touch with the boundary between "real" vs "not real", me vs world, this vs. that

- I've entered this realm before with strong psilocybin and LSD doses as well

- Ego Death = Psychological Death = Cutting Loose from 'sanity' = Surrendering to Unconditional Love

- Frankly, 5-MEO was not nearly as scary as shrooms trips have been.

- Upon ego death, everything that's ever happened to you makes perfect sense. It might be hard to feel a connection to unconditional love while you're going through tough times, but it's all a set up for the greatest love you've ever felt. Imagine the feeling you would get from a surprise party wherein you got upset thinking no one cared about you until surprise everyone cares! 

- I think we could describe this work as the most powerful form of exposure-based CBT for the phobia of death.

Conclusion:

I undoubtedly became infinity from my own subjective perspective, but the EEG's reading shows that my brain entered a state of deep sleep. One hypothesis I'd always had regarding death is that it would be just like going where you go between when you fall asleep and when you dream, but actually realizing you are there. This is evidence that this is could be a somewhat accurate description.

When one goes to sleep, one is awake during stage 1 of sleep. Then the body gets paralyzed but one is still somewhat awake during stage 2. Most people skip over stages 3 and 4 and simply 'wake up' into the dream world of REM sleep, which has the same signals as what we refer to as 'normal' waking existence.

I find it fascinating that I was consciously present during what looks exactly like stage 3 or 4 sleep. Guys, this is genuinely no small matter -- if brain waves correlate to conscious existence, then why am I conscious during the time that should be reserved for unconsciousness? EEGs have been around for a while and it is part of the consensus that this should not happen!

I also think that this is a strike against the common dogma of materialism. Indeed, the whole paradigm of the having a body and having a brain is becoming more and more of a joke to me as I enter different trips. What I seen so far has made it obvious that I'm everything and everyone... Anything that takes one away from this fact is a delusion... Suffering, loneliness, addiction, compulsion, fear, and anger are all symptoms of a loss of touch with the reality that we are each the indescribable source of all creation.

I plan to try another recording soon after I spend some time integrating the wisdom from the trip. I'm a little annoyed I had to end the session early, but I have no reason to believe the pattern would have not kept repeating. 

Until then, in the words of Miyamoto Musashi, do not take my word for anything, investigate this thoroughly. 

Edited by TJ Reeves

39 minutes ago, TJ Reeves said:

- My supposedly "good" meditation practice with Muse looks nothing like the 5-MEO trip. 

Haha not really shocker now is it?

@Paintballer well, yeah, actually, it is a shocker. 

It was at least possible that as one recognizes nothingness they would enter an ultra-calm state similar to what's experienced during meditation. I had originally expected a graph similar to the deep calm state meditation except where it's even lower to the point of looking like I flatlined. 

One cannot take anything for granted. 

@TJ Reeves mystical experiences are not only caused by an increase in deep delta/epsilon waves. They also caused by an increase in gamma waves.

Weird, but that is how it is. 

@TJ Reeves Cool idea. I've thought about doing an EEG like that as well. Here are my thoughts on your experiment:

• The Muse is totally inadequate for what you're looking to do. You need a true EEG machine with wet electrodes and precise placement on the right parts of your skull.
  • The secret of mystical experiences isn't so much in their amplitudes or frequencies, but in their synchronization, which is harder to see. What you want are Theta, Alpha, and Gamma waves perfectly syncing, while Beta waves are suppressed.
  • Experiences of God should reflect the EEG of a dying brain. A physically dying brain actually synchronizes Theta, Alpha, and Gamma before it flatlines.
  • Advanced yogis supposedly can have zero EEG readings. Like they are brain-dead.

Those are my best guesses. Certainly needs to be tested.

To do a good test of 5-meo would require a device like this. The other problem is that these devices require that you keep the electrodes perfectly still. Which would be REALLY hard to do on a 5-meo breakthrough. Any movements -- even eyeblinks -- would ruin the signal. So you'd have to really have your shit together to pull that off. But it could be done.

My guess is that 5-meo creates tons of brainwave synchrony. Would love to confirm that.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Reaching sleep states via meditation could take 5 years to make the brain experience deep consciousness yet aware like sleep of watching the mind at such a low frequency, but while hearing 1-4Hz binural beats within 15minutes your there.

Can you give it a go in comparison while tracking your brain readings on different sessions of each?

Request ~ just curious if you could compare your meditation sessions while on different waves (although i'm not sure how you could get audio into your ears if not for headphones perhaps earplugs?)

Gamma Waves – 40Hz and above These happen during states of hyper-alertness, such as during sport when intense concentration and coordination is required

Beta Waves – 13Hz – 39Hz These occur during activities that require strong concentration, such as when solving a math problem

Alpha Waves – 7Hz - 13Hz Alpha waves are produced when participating in an activity during wakefulness, but during an activity that doesn’t require much alertness, for example: painting, playing a video game

Theta Waves – 4Hz – 7Hz These are caused during very deep meditation and during the state that is optimal for lucid dreaming and astral projection

Delta Waves – 4Hz - .1Hz Delta waves occur during deep sleep

That's really interesting, thanks for sharing this.