Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Abhijeeth

Self Acceptance And Self Development Paradox

5 posts in this topic

How can one merge these two ideas .

How can one accept himself as he/she is and at the same time work towards development?

Really curious about this ??

What if I told you that your highest self wants to develop itself? That by fully accepting that true self you develop yourself? 

If our species needed to force itself to develop we would have gone extinct a long time ago. The things which keep you from developing are self-imposed barriers to the true self, it is not a lack of ability to force things into motion. Motion is always there and always happening, you just need to let it go, accept it. 

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

This a huge question that I has been in my mind for a long while.  

While I can create thoughts that explain away the problem. Emotionaly and on a subconscious level, there is this feeling that I must get better because I am inadequate.  

Leos had a great line "I love and accept you just the way you are"(sorry if its a misquote.)  Which has really helped me create a much more balanced approach to my faults.  But deeper thoughts still come through.  I want that black belt in the martial art I train because I am not good enough now.

Just because someone accepts theirself it doesn't mean they don't want to change or develope. I see true acceptance as being okay with what someone was, what someone is and what someone will be, at the same time.

In a sense, self-acceptance is also form of self development, they merge into each other. To accept yourself is to eliminate all "shoulds" and judgements, making you less neurotic and more authentic- it's still moving forward.