Socrates

Good Vs Evil

143 posts in this topic

I think, for argument's sake, it's better to think of it in terms of right and wrong. "Good and evil" brings up too many beliefs and emotions.

It is absolutely WRONG to violate someone's body and rape them. Absolutely wrong. No amount of this and that nonsense is going to convince anyone with a moral compass it is the right thing to do. What you wish to call it is your own deal.

It is absolutely RIGHT to take that gun you see in your friend's backpack when they go to the bathroom. Whether he/she has ideas to use it on themselves or others. Anybody with a shred of common sense would take that gun and turn it in so that person could get help. Personally, "right" is always harder to get an absolute on, but if you use your imagination you can come up with a few.

Are there things in the world we can't control? Of course. There will always be mundane things around you making you question everything. Existentialism bores the hell out of me. You're here experiencing this physical reality, get over it. While it might not be a "total reality" it is part of reality and we should care about what happens here: Our actions, the actions of others, etc. 

I tend to avoid telling people they're wrong about this and that. I really don't even bother conversing with most ideas like consciousness, spirituality, reality and so on. I simply experience my life the way I choose to and hopefully it sets a good example. I mostly dislike the disassociation people allow themselves to think is okay between "reality" and "life."

everyone is a machine. do we have strong negative emotions about certain actions? yes. do we moralize it as undesirable? yes. is it wrong? lol no. without the warping from the mind, a bird in a tree is but a sea of light that means nothing and cannot be discerned. it is to be expected that humans dislike "evil" things. but "evil" is entirely an illusion created by the mind. created there, lives there, and dies there. beyond the mind there is no such thing as evil. 

In regards to good and bad, the answer is that there are still consequences in place and karma still exists. Leo talks about it in the Zen devil video but he didn't mention it here for some reason.

Edited by Socrates