Afonso

Love Your Inner Child

5 posts in this topic

I was following Leo's video on the Hero's Journey (on his Life Purpose Course) and somehow I got emotional and started revisiting my childhood memories. I played an inspiring speech and started a deep process of visualization.

I visualized myself throughout childhood as this little kid and I gave him LOVE every time. In every situation, place, time, I gave that kid all the love I could and knew how to give. My love language is physical, and as such, I gave him LOVE with hugs. I loved him all the way. In those moments, I started crying, and lots of tears came out of my eyes. I stayed in this state a few more minutes and gave LOVE till there was no more LOVE to give... I just accepted him, looked at his big eyes and loved the little creature.

Now, the kid is no longer in my arms receiving my love. It's full, it's playing in the park, dancing and being innocently happy.

This was the speech I was listening to (not intended for this type of work, it was just a mere coincidence):

Yes, this work is super important...I don't wish to be the barer of this news...but I'm afraid it will take much more than one sitting...there are some really cool techniques for working with your inner child...hopefully Leo will do a video someday...one of my favorites, other than the visualizations, is when you have an emotion, you can use your non-dominant hand to write messages from the child...really insightful.... 

7 hours ago, Epiphany_Inspired said:

Yes, this work is super important...I don't wish to be the barer of this news...but I'm afraid it will take much more than one sitting...there are some really cool techniques for working with your inner child...hopefully Leo will do a video someday...one of my favorites, other than the visualizations, is when you have an emotion, you can use your non-dominant hand to write messages from the child...really insightful.... 

True. This wasn't my first session, and it won't be my last. The first session I did a couple of months ago, I thought I was finished, but not so far...

In the periods where I procrastinate on my life purpose or go backwards on my personal development one of the main leverage to recharge my vision and re-inspire me are movies, cartoons, songs of my childhood. Of course these are extra powerful tools on me because I want to become a movie director and I have a passion for anime, but I truly believe that if you presently feel without love, without inspiration or dead inside a good "shot" of that childhood true sensations can be create with the experience of something that really resonate with our 4y old self, and one good idea can be a movie or a song. 

Just take some time for yourself to watch one of the movies that touched you deep inside (Classical cartoons or just the OST or musics that you loved), and most importantly let yourself feel, let yourself feel emotions, maybe force them a little bit -but not to much-; let yourself cry. Feel the nostalgia and the malinconia, but must importantly feel what is behind those facades, stay in touch with it, it's something that is true, is a part of your true self. Then go back, rise back to the surface, don't get stuck on memories or on the past; return to the present with the true feeling that you've felt and apply it to the present.

Yesterday for example I've rewhatched an anime, something that I generally don't do because I'm into a research and development period, but because I was missing motivation I've decide to do it... and man, at the end of the movie I've cried like a baby for 10 minutes like I've didn't done for years. And yes, maybe it was too much; but it is better than just let ourself waste our life. As adult we need way more to remember to feel, to be emotional, to be sensible and more than emphatic; movies are art, and art is more an expression, an emotion a dream than everything else; therefore let's allow ourself to really feel a movie when we watch it, to feel it as we were doing when we were child. 

Of course this is just a tool, and the most profound one is awareness; but I feel like this can be help too, in particular on the personal development noobie-intermediate and intermediate stage. And I will even add to watch more cartoons in general, Miyazaki's one in particular, they are for some aspect like meditation: you may not feel the change, but in reality something deep inside is changing. So yeah, we have to love our inner child and we can even love ourself "with our inner child". 

“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.” ― Pablo Picasso (artist=true self (among other things)) 

Edited by Ray

@Ray Former animator, huge Miyazaki fan...agreed...if more of our time was spent enjoying, with the wonder and awe of childhood life would sparkle!