JevinR

Is This Video Bullsh*t?

15 posts in this topic

To just grind? Is this truth? Seems like a hellish grind, is this plausible? The person in the video seems lie a dabbler, going from activity to activity? I have lost some passion for mathematics, should I just grind like hell, or follow my bliss? This is contrary to following your bliss, as the example given in the life purpose course. I want to be a master.

I actually agree with what he's saying.  You don't see much progress in any area unless you're willing to ride the wave and not jump ship.  Passion is great to start things off, but the passion will die out a bit after a while.  If you're disciplined enough though, you'll see results by sticking with something.  That's what I got from his rant.

Accepting drudgery and following ones bliss are NOT contrary, in my opinion. I think the error in thinking comes from conflating 'avoiding pain/hard work' with 'following your bliss'. Following your bliss is moving towards that thing which your authentic self 'desires' most AND having the discipline to overcome the inevitable resistance.

This does mean it can be incredibly tricky to know when to jump ship and make a radical life change (as I recently experienced myself...), or persevere with your current activity.

As for your mathematics situation, only you can know if that's what you authentically want and whether it is worth mastering.

Why I completely agree with Elliot. First there is passion...then you must grind when the passion is gone. Commit yourself to mastery in that one field! If you always dabble and never master anything you will never succeed. In the same time you follow your bliss, because your bliss was your passion to begin with. 

It's completely natural for art students to feel confused between different major when they enter college, it's the very nature of the creative human that they want to try and experience many things, especially that creative people are emotionally sensitive, their passion is easily driven by admiriing different forms of arts, each one ignites a new passion, they see someone drawing, they want to become artists, they go to a big concert, they want to become musicians, the go to a mind blowing movie, they want to become directors.. etc

I agree with the guy from the experience, I'm okay to admit that life purpose is an ongoing journey, you never stop and say that's it. I changed my entire career 3 times and I am preparing for a fourth change, and I can see a fifth and a sixth during the next 15-20 years, it's never because I was bad at these jobs, but because I felt that I mastered them enough that I learned everything I wanted to learn, and I want to experience something different next, I'm doing fine because I show devotion in my works in all different Jobs, and if ever your new career didn't work, as a fail safe key,  just roll back to your previous job. whatever is learned, cannot be unlearned.
What I did that I have set to my life a very big general (non-technical) purpose, example: I love to make people happy and more conscious, then I will use whatever talents and tools available to me at this moment to deliver my passion, whether it's a song, a movie, and art, a play.. etc
I like to think that passion is the push to plan any creative project (pre-production), but as you go through production, production may sound like a donkey job for creative artists, but commitment is needed to finish it, otherwise all our efforts will go to waste, it's okay that once every while to have a new career or passion and to need to commit to finish it. I deem finishing a project as half the victory whether it failed or succeded.

I'm aware that talking is easier than doing, but I'm living that way, and I'm doing fine, surviving happily so far.

You should make a careful intuitive, gut-level evaluation of whether your passion is truly gone for this field, or it's merely clouded temporarily by drudgery.

If your passion is truly gone for something, it no longer feels meaningful. The activity feels pointless, even if the hard work became easy. In which case, grinding it out is a terrible move.

However, if you feel this field is still very meaningful at its core, but you're glum about your prospects in the field (for whatever reason), that means you should stick with it and perhaps change up your approach, or just stay the course and wait it out.

The question you should be concerned with is: Does mathematics still hold deep meaning for me, despite any temporary annoyances?

And never forget, there are MANY different ways to pursue mathematics. You might hate teaching mathematics, but love some other aspect of it. You might hate calculus but love geometry, etc. In that case, you need to niche yourself better within the broader field. Don't be afraid to carve out a totally unique way contributing to the field of mathematics that suits your style and passions.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You should make a careful intuitive, gut-level evaluation of whether your passion is truly gone for this field, or it's merely clouded temporarily by drudgery.

If your passion is truly gone for something, it no longer feels meaningful. The activity feels pointless, even if the hard work became easy. In which case, grinding it out is a terrible move.

However, if you feel this field is still very meaningful at its core, but you're glum about your prospects in the field (for whatever reason), that means you should stick with it and perhaps change up your approach, or just stay the course and wait it out.

The question you should be concerned with is: Does mathematics still hold deep meaning for me, despite any temporary annoyances?

And never forget, there are MANY different ways to pursue mathematics. You might hate teaching mathematics, but love some other aspect of it. You might hate calculus but love geometry, etc. In that case, you need to niche yourself better within the broader field. Don't be afraid to carve out a totally unique way contributing to the field of mathematics that suits your style and passions.

I would like to know your opinion of Elliott Hulse' (guy in vid) philosophy in general. 

On 2/15/2016 at 10:57 PM, JevinR said:

To just grind? Is this truth? Seems like a hellish grind, is this plausible? The person in the video seems lie a dabbler, going from activity to activity? I have lost some passion for mathematics, should I just grind like hell, or follow my bliss? This is contrary to following your bliss, as the example given in the life purpose course. I want to be a master.

This is correct. Admittedly I am a fan of him in general. Your ego is like electricity. It takes the path of least resistance. You don't need faith to believe him. Its the cycle of life what in the morning you were passionate about will at evening have faded into the grind. 

3 hours ago, Abhijeeth said:

@Leo Gura 

How can one find if there is meaning or not? 

Is mathematics meaningful to you? Yes or no?

Replace mathematics with whatever other thing you want until you find something that gets a clear HELL YES! response.

@Hellsgunz100 What is his philosophy exactly?

In general I like Elliot. He gives some good advice overall.

32 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Well to be honest, I was speaking abstractly. As in the "vibe" he gives, though I can try and qualify particular aspects. I think, for the purposes of universal personal comprehension I would rather leave things intuitive, for the same reason music artist sometimes write lyrics very vaguely so everyone can project their meaning onto them.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

"Your body is your mind." Are you in touch with your body? He favors the body quite a lot, which is basically intuition. He also makes videos about freeing yourself from muscular tension in order to be grounded in who you are and be in touch with the body. He also preaches unconditional self love. A prerational idea of self worth regardless of anything. Just because I am I deserve respect.

"Water takes shape of whatever container holds it." --

Allan Watts formulates this idea in a great way. You have to learn a skill, and with the skill you learn the discipline that is needed to learn any other skill. I'd say, the most important part is the discipline, because once you learned that, you can choose any skill you want.

i would advice to read more from Steven pinker, or anything that related to morals in general, i will end this with a smart ass quote because i can't make smart ass quotes like those

"There is no failure except in no longer trying. There is no defeat except from within, no really insurmountable barrier save our own inherent weakness of purpose." Kin Hubbard