Afonso

Days After Installing Concentration Practice (amazing Must-read)

6 posts in this topic

Wow... Just wow! Installing a concentration practice, a daily habit, has been very powerful lately!

I just reserved a few days just for concentration practice! Today I did ~3 hours of it including 5 or 6 chunks of 10 minutes and 1 chunk of 1 hour.

I notice a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge boost in my meditation practice AND the emotional stability and tranquility of mind that can last for days is just amazing!

It can feel a lot like you're in the center of an hurricane, as Leo puts it in his video Concentration vs Meditation.

I used the same method as Leo of the repeating sound, but contrary to what he says, I really enjoy concentrating on the sound of the metronome, it's like a hit of pleasure every time I hear the sound.

HOWEVER, I'm still not sure if I'm hitting access concentration. I mean, it keeps being easier and easier to focus and I don't need to put a lot of effort in it, but I can't identify any "access concentration" state.

As for peace of mind, I don't know what makes a bigger difference - Meditation or Concentration - or if this tranquility was magnified by concentration but build upon meditation.

I feel like emotionally invincible with the concentration practice.

Edited by Afonso

I have been practising this aswell for some time now. 2 minutes, 2 times a day. For some reason I don't feel any improvement though. Is there anything I should do differently?

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

10 hours ago, Max_V said:

I have been practising this aswell for some time now. 2 minutes, 2 times a day. For some reason I don't feel any improvement though. Is there anything I should do differently?

try increasing the time, that's too little 

@afonso 

Then, I should try 3 times of 2 minutes in a row? and that twice a day? In the video 'Concentration vs Meditation', Leo says you should start out at your level and then when you feel you are good at a certain level increase the time. Now, my concentration is pretty bad and I get discracted easily since I have ADD. So will I get more improvement if I increase the times I do 2 minutes?

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

19 minutes ago, Max_V said:

@afonso 

Then, I should try 3 times of 2 minutes in a row? and that twice a day? In the video 'Concentration vs Meditation', Leo says you should start out at your level and then when you feel you are good at a certain level increase the time. Now, my concentration is pretty bad and I get discracted easily since I have ADD. So will I get more improvement if I increase the times I do 2 minutes?

Don't worry about not feeling the effects that I describe. As I can recall, I started out with single 5 minute sessions and didn't feel much of a change in my experience. It was only when I boosted to 10 minute sessions after a couple of days that I started feeling a lot more peaceful and my mind got very still.

Everyone's position is different. Work your way through longer periods of time. If you still get distracted, keep practicing. Eventually, you'll reach higher  levels of concentration, it all boils down to how much you practice daily.

That said, I still think my results were influenced by my meditation habit of over 6 months.