WeMustFocus

Am I selling out?

8 posts in this topic

I have all the necessary tools and serious talent to become a giant in the streaming gaming world; let's just assume I would be the next big thing. I CANNOT shake this gut feeling that it's not the most noble and ideal path, even though I don't believe it to be "wrong" to be a pro gamer. 

There is a slight moral dilemma in that I would be aiding in the modern day addiction to entertainment, distraction of children & individuals to watch me play some irrelevant video game for hours, when I could have pursued a path that is win-win for everyone, similar to Leo's ytube channel, or a doctor, or a blue collar job; a job that actually advances society towards my ideal world. 

Also, I don't really have a passion for gaming anymore, but from a purely logical standpoint i'm sitting on a lottery ticket. 

However, it's not entirely that black/white as I would use the streaming platform to inspire, while utilizing the money & fame to fund projects towards my ideal work. But it feels as though, for the rest of my life, I took a path where I slightly sold out my character for worldly gain. 

Am I overthinking it? 

Ty for taking the time to read 🙏🏾

1 minute ago, WeMustFocus said:

when I could have pursued a path that is win-win for everyone

Keep in mind that you can never, and will never, be able to please everyone.

Do it because you LOVE what the hell you’re doing! 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

@Yimpa

1 minute ago, Yimpa said:

Keep in mind that you can never, and will never, be able to please everyone.

Of course, my friend. I meant win-win in the sense that I gain $ and they actually gain some real wisdom/help towards their goals (whether or not they agree). 

However, yes, the love is lacking towards gaming.

Ty for your reply

Posted (edited)

It could be a temporary stepping stone to something higher.

The real problem here would be if there was something more meaningful that you could do with your life, and you gave it up in pursuit of something easy and profitable.

But again, it is a valid strategy to earn some money to fund yourself towards something higher.

Realistically you will get sick of streaming after 5-10 years and desire something more meaningful. But those first 5 years could be good and leave you in a nice financial spot. The trap would be to get stuck in streaming forever.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

I was in a similar position to you in the very early days of twitch in 2013 . I was getting around 150 viewers per stream with a 360p quality . Some people that played with me at that time are now making big cash with twitch

I focused on my studies instead, and I quit that later on anyways

Yeah bad idea

If you don't like it you can always quit later, and leverage whatever fame you have for better purposes.

Or do you have something that you absolutely would rather be doing instead?

Edited by mmKay

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The real problem here would be if there was something more meaningful that you could do with your life, and you gave it up in pursuit of something easy and profitable.

5 hours ago, mmKay said:

Or do you have something that you absolutely would rather be doing instead?

This was my exact feeling as well. I am in love with bodybuilding, which would be much more fulfilling, but it would be like traveling through a dark forest; I lack business knowledge skills, whereas streaming all the pieces are right there. 

I have this entire year before the game comes out. I'll give bodybuilding all of my effort. If something sticks, i'll stick with it. If not, i'll just go the gaming route next year. 

Thank you Leo & mmKay for your wisdom. 

Bodybuilding and gaming are not so hard that you couldn't do both.

It's not like you can bodybuild 8hrs per day.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

53 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Bodybuilding and gaming are not so hard that you couldn't do both.

It's not like you can bodybuild 8hrs per day.

Also a solid point, brother. I get 1 plate spinning efficiently, get the other one going in the time remaining, and hire an editor eventually. 

Definitely doable

Edited by WeMustFocus