Erol

Ken Wilber's total organism

4 posts in this topic

I have been reading Ken Wilber’s no boundaries. I get the persona stage. That you recognize and accept parts of your psyche, that you don't like. For example by seeing what outside of your definition of "I" triggers you and then accepting those things as a part of yourself. So persona + shadows = Ego. In order to transcend the Ego stage and get to the total organism stage you need to realize that there is no border between your ego and your body. I don't really get that part. I mean I understand that my personality is bound to my body. My whole character developed through genes and experiences with my body. If I would change something about my body, like change my hormone household by taking steroids I change my personality. I also understand the analogy of the centaur. But I don't understand how I can identify with my body. This seems much more abstract to me than the shadow thing.

Can someone help me understand and feel it?

Posted (edited)

Try this exercise. Stand in front of a mirror and try to feel every single muscle in your body and try to release all tension. Try to be in a constant state of release and letting go and try to feel every part of your body. I find it best to focus on your hands, fingers, and toes and then work up from there. What will tend to happen is your arms will tighten up and slowly start to raise unconsciously. Notice any tension and release. THERE IS ALWAYS A DEEPER LEVEL OF RELEASE/LETTING GO. Shut off all thoughts and just feel your body. Try for 10 minutes to start

The best book for identifying with your body is "Zen Body Being" by Peter Ralston. I got this exercise from that and there are a bunch more, but the core of it is developing sensitivity to every tiny piece of your body, noticing the held tension, and releasing

Edited by Phil King

@Phil King Thanks a lot! Book sounds promising. What do you think about biogenetics from Alexander Lowen?

Posted (edited)

@Erol I just looked up that book on amazon because I was unfamiliar with it and looked through the table of contents. It looks good, I might pick it up. I bet there will be a lot of overlap/similarities. Reviews seem positive as well

Just reading the synopsis, he is definitely correct about lack of energy being caused by excessive tension in your body. Ralston also talks about this in his book. Its only when you release all tension that your energy can flow freely throughout your body. Tension = wasted energy

Edited by Phil King