Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardkill

Uncommitted Voters in Dem Michigan primary threaten Biden's reelection in 2024

4 posts in this topic

If you'll excuse me for copying and pasting a post I made outside of this forum on this exact subject, here are some of the thoughts as a person who lives in Michigan. (For context, this was posted in a circle with a lot of politically active SD-Green folks).

While I might get in hot water for this take, respectfully I have to disagree with my fellow Michigan Lefties who opted to vote 'uncommitted' in the primary election, over Biden's refusal to call for a ceasefire in Gaza (insofar as 'uncommitted' translates into not voting, or voting third party in the upcoming election).

To be clear, I don't deny that what's been happening in Gaza is a genocide, and that by providing funding and military aid to Netanyahu's regime, the US is complicit in the humanitarian disaster in Palestine. Nor do I disagree with putting pressure on our elected officials to call for an immediate ceasefire (which is what voting 'uncommitted' was intended to accomplish).

HOWEVER, tactically this seems to me to be at best an empty threat; and at worst a horribly shortsighted form of brinksmanship that's bound to backfire in a spectacular way, insofar as it helps Trump enact his plans to end US democracy if he wins the upcoming election. However badly you think the Biden admiration is mishandling Gaza, the situation is guaranteed to get far worse if the US becomes a dictatorial Christo-fascist state. To be clear. giving Christian-nationalists a green light to proceed with their plans to move forward on a national abortion ban, the criminalization of LGBTQ people, and the use of the US military as a domestic police force does *nothing* to help the people of Palestine.

In a first past the post electoral system, abstaining from voting (or voting for a third party) is effectively a vote for Trump. You may not like it (I certainly don't), but that's the reality we're living in. Also, it's worth noting that the 'point' of voting is NOT about self expression. It's about wielding the political power that you do have in a responsible way, given actual socio-political reality. You don't get to pat yourself on the back for not voting for a candidate that you find unsavory, when they're CLEARLY the least bad option, and it's not even close.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

22 minutes ago, DocWatts said:

If you'll excuse me for copying and pasting a post I made outside of this forum on this exact subject, here are some of the thoughts as a person who lives in Michigan. (For context, this was posted in a circle with a lot of politically active SD-Green folks).

While I might get in hot water for this take, respectfully I have to disagree with my fellow Michigan Lefties who opted to vote 'uncommitted' in the primary election, over Biden's refusal to call for a ceasefire in Gaza (insofar as 'uncommitted' translates into not voting, or voting third party in the upcoming election).

To be clear, I don't deny that what's been happening in Gaza is a genocide, and that by providing funding and military aid to Netanyahu's regime, the US is complicit in the humanitarian disaster in Palestine. Nor do I disagree with putting pressure on our elected officials to call for an immediate ceasefire (which is what voting 'uncommitted' was intended to accomplish).

HOWEVER, tactically this seems to me to be at best an empty threat; and at worst a horribly shortsighted form of brinksmanship that's bound to backfire in a spectacular way, insofar as it helps Trump enact his plans to end US democracy if he wins the upcoming election. However badly you think the Biden admiration is mishandling Gaza, the situation is guaranteed to get far worse if the US becomes a dictatorial Christo-fascist state. To be clear. giving Christian-nationalists a green light to proceed with their plans to move forward on a national abortion ban, the criminalization of LGBTQ people, and the use of the US military as a domestic police force does *nothing* to help the people of Palestine.

In a first past the post electoral system, abstaining from voting (or voting for a third party) is effectively a vote for Trump. You may not like it (I certainly don't), but that's the reality we're living in. Also, it's worth noting that the 'point' of voting is NOT about self expression. It's about wielding the political power that you do have in a responsible way, given actual socio-political reality. You don't get to pat yourself on the back for not voting for a candidate that you find unsavory, when they're CLEARLY the least bad option, and it's not even close.

I know, but it's dismaying how foolish these voters in Michigan might end up being. 

This is sadly another reason for all of us to lose more sleep over what might have by the end of this year. Damn it!