Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paradoxed

Thomas Moynihan's theory of Spinal Catastrophism

1 post in this topic

efug-brwoaeqbvv-1.jpg?w=724

"Drawing on cryptic intimations in the work of J.G. Ballard, Georges Bataille, William Burroughs, André Leroi-Gourhan, Elaine Morgan, and Friedrich Nietzsche, in the late twentieth century Dr. Daniel Barker formulated the axioms of Spinal Catastrophism: If human morphology, upright posture, and the possibility of language are the ramified accidents of natural history, then psychic ailments are ultimately afflictions of the spine, which itself is a scale model of biogenetic trauma, a portable map of the catastrophic events that shaped that atrocity exhibition of evolutionary traumata, the sick orthograde talking mammal.

Tracing its provenance through the biological notions of phylogeny and ‘organic memory’ that fueled early psychoanalysis, back into idealism, nature philosophy, and romanticism, and across multiform encounters between philosophy, psychology, biology, and geology, Thomas Moynihan reveals the historical continuity of Spinal Catastrophism, and analyzes its principal sources: the geological discovery of depth as memory, and the notion of recapitulation born of the collision of absolute idealism with natural history.

From psychoanalysis and myth to geology and neuroanatomy, from bioanalysis to chronopathy, from spinal colonies of proto-minds to the retroparasitism of the CNS, from ‘railway spine’ to Elizabeth Taylor’s lost gill-slits, this extravagantly comprehensive philosophical adventure uses the spinal cord as a guiding thread to rediscover forgotten pathways in modern thought.

Moynihan demonstrates that, far from being an fanciful notion rendered obsolete by advances in biology, Spinal Catastrophism dramatizes fundamental philosophical problematics of time, identity, continuity, and the transcendental that remain central to any attempt to reconcile human experience with natural history."

This seems like a very dense multi-faceted philosophy regarding the evolution of the spine, claiming the spine when studied acts as a record of human history and the history of earth. By understanding the spine we can understand the development of the nervous system, senses, our consciousness, our "inner world" so to speak. If I am understanding correctly, the claim is that this inner world is some form of natural discontinuity, and issues with the spine are an undiagnosed cause of many social disorders, such as thought and language, which he claims are a sort of virus plaguing mankind ("psychic ailments"). And by understanding the spine we can understand multi generational trauma. I may be getting something wrong here. I am no philosopher or biologist, and this is a bit out of my realm, but I have never heard of this before and found the concept pretty interesting, although extremely difficult to understand.

I was curious if Leo has heard of Spinal Catastrophism and what he thinks. I had never head of it and I thought you guys would find it interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Spinal-Catastrophism-Secret-History-Urbanomic-ebook/dp/B08BSZV4YF

Edited by Paradoxed