TheEnigma

Will AI one day end human life?

21 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, bebotalk said:

It's also innate in life to seek survival. Just because all known species have gone extinct it does't mean that we cannot face off existential threats.

Sure, there is some truth to that, but I'm not talking about the mere extinction of some little species.

I will just copy another post of mine because I think it draws the image very well:

There are always higher magnitudes of death waiting for us. Even if we did manage to overcome all of the inherent dangers of our own planet (disease, famine, war, natural disasters) and our biological decay, the sun would still explode, our galaxy would still collide with other galaxies and even the universe itself would eventually die right with us, as it isn't exempt from death either. And even if we overcame all of THOSE threats by, for example, moving to another much safer universe altogether (I'm just using this as a thought experiment, I'm not saying that there is a multiverse), we would still stumble upon another existential threat on the multiversal level in the future.

Think about it. Our universe could be 5 minutes away from crashing into another universe and being shattered entirely, but we wouldn't know since we don't even know whether there are any other universes to begin with, just like a small spider might always be 5 minutes away from accidentally being stepped on by a human, a possibility that exists far outside of it's ability to comprehend reality. So even if you couldn't die to the stuff that is threatening you on earth, how would you know whether the universe itself wasn't at constant threat?

So death doesn't just lie within that which we know, but also in that which we don't. How are you going to prepare for something not even an AI can comprehend?

Don't think that we can outsmart death forever.. 

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop