Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Danioover9000

Free speech, the good and bad.

4 posts in this topic

One of my first palpable cognitive dissonances I have experienced, when 2 people I admire a bit beefed like this:

And IMO Eminem is the instigator here. Just a pretty bad look to decide to go after Michael Jackson like this. 

I also disagree with this 'freedom of speech' that Eminem's team came up with. Firstly, 'freedom of speech' does not defend you from civil lawsuit and lawsuit of reputational damages, including slander, defamation, and smearing, which IMO Michael Jackson would likely win if he took this to court because there's reasonable doubt that that is likely to happen in considering each parody element that Slim Shady has done there, a Judge and Jury would have a field day against Eminem here. A legal case here, from preliminary trial would be to prove/disprove intent to defame, slander, ridicule, and reputational/public damages which I felt likely would pass into a civil/criminal court case.

What are your thoughts on this situation, or others like it? Is this just a misuse of free speech and parody? Should there be reasonable doubt of reputational lose, and should the target of these parodies have the right to file lawsuit?

Here’s a short clip on the use of freedom of speech regarding religion:

And if you like that a slightly longer one by the same speaker which is interesting. Start at 3 min 30 sec.

Edited by zazen

What can I say? This is a pretty decent video:

This is actually a good use of free speech right here. This Ummah Fight Camp guy is the real deal martial artists, knows what he's talking about.

@zazen

2 hours ago, zazen said:

Here’s a short clip on the use of freedom of speech regarding religion:

And if you like that a slightly longer one by the same speaker which is interesting. Start at 3 min 30 sec.

Great post, good share. An argument could be had that it's the undertone of the message, or words being expressed, that's more important than the explicit wording of say, using the N-word, or the R-word, or satire, sarcasm or dark humour that mocks and denigrates race, sex religions, politics, or dark events like sexual assault, or horrific crimes, or almost anything related to the human condition, and human evils in the world. For instance, Destiny is similarly guilty of this, just look at some of his twitter/X messages in regards to how he talks about politics, his political opponents, current political events, even religion and sex sometimes when speaking about the left or right, or when he debates or does live streams and 'jokes', I'd argue that based on the body language analysis and tonality I did about him, that he does this intentionally to create clout and to grab attention even if it's immoral and mocks groups weaker and more vulnerable than himself, which undertones a HUGE lack of empathy and understanding, which he himself deeply denies.