Cosmic-Resplendence

Sri Vijnana Bhairava Tantra - The Ascent

6 posts in this topic

I’ve been reading “Sri Vijnana Bhairava Tantra - The Ascent” through a suggestion by ChatGPT during a discussion about deeply cosmic spiritual books. I really like this book a lot! I can’t recommend it enough… Its the kind of book that you might want if you’re stuck on a deserted Island with limited resources. You can open any random page and gain so much insight. I’m really surprised its not talked about more on spiritual book lists, etc. I read that even among Hindu practitioners, the book is less known or talked about. Its one of the Bihar School of Yoga books which are very highly rated. I do think its more advanced though, so if you never meditated before, you might want to work up to it. Even so, its great reading with deep insights that even someone new would probably find interesting and useful on their own spiritual path.

I’m also reading “Sure Ways to Self-Realization” by the same author, which is an overview of meditation across all religions that generally use various meditation techniques. Also includes many various meditation techniques. Its more of good book to start with, going over many basic meditation techniques, like “Antar Mouna” for example. 

"Sri Vijnana Bhairava Tantra - The Ascent" by Swami Satyasangananda Saraswati is a profound exploration into the ancient spiritual text known as the Vijnana Bhairava Tantra. In this illuminating work, the author takes readers on a transformative journey, unveiling the sacred conversation between two divine beings—Demigods—wherein the secrets of attaining the highest states of consciousness, including the elusive state of Samadhi, are shared. Focus of the book is 112 different dharanas, or concentration techniques, with emphasis on the direct experience of divine consciousness. Through a discourse rich with wisdom, meditation techniques, and contemplative practices, the book serves as a guide for seekers on the path of self-discovery and spiritual ascent. It invites readers to delve into the timeless teachings that illuminate the essence of existence and unveil the keys to unlocking the boundless potential of the human spirit.

Edited by Cosmic-Resplendence

No, not really… I used to meditate in the past, but I always did more “Being Present in the Now” Zen type meditation practice. I was really into Eckert Tolle’s work in the past… Mantra meditations and Yoga in general is newer for me. In “Sure Ways to Self-Realization” they suggest sticking with OM mantras unless you’re given one specially by your Guru. That might be difficult though if you aren’t living in India, and have a personal Guru. 

I didn’t remember any specific  mantras in the book, but I asked ChatGPT if there are any Mantra techniques in “Sri Vijnana Bhairava Tantra - The Ascent”. It told me that no specific mantras are explicitly mentioned in the original Sanskrit, and that the text generally focuses on the essence of practices and the state of awareness rather than describing specific mantra formulations. The emphasis is on the direct experience of divine consciousness. 

I think I should’ve started this thread in the book section, and I don’t have an external link. Sorry I misunderstood what this discussion thread was about and I just noticed the guideline page. If a moderator wants me to copy the initial post and move it into the book review discussion, I will do so.