r0ckyreed

The Dangers of ChatGPT - It Lowers Your Critical Thinking & Attention Span

21 posts in this topic

On 2024-01-14 at 11:01 AM, r0ckyreed said:

The question now is, can you learn to think deeply on your own and fall in love with your own intelligence rather than the intelligence of ChatGPT?

Do you see how if you are reliant on external resources, then it will be very hard to fall in love with your own internal resources? 

One of the most beautiful things in life is being able to fall in love with your own mind and intelligence. It just baffles me what kinds of insights I am able to derive on my own.

Of course, I still use ChatGPT, Google, and Facebook, but I take the dangers of these tools very seriously and I now use them in moderation. The issue is people aren’t taking the dangers of technology and AI seriously. They don’t see the difference between a tool and a weapon. An object is both a tool and a weapon. I notice a lot of people focus more on the tool part of an object than they do on the weapon part. 

There is a power of reading through an entire article and book rather than having ChatGPT summarize it for you. I think ChatGPT will help us achieve great things, but it will also make us very cognitively lazy.

Well, it’s all about balance and using tools appropriately. 

If I am doing deep study of a text, say in Chinese medicine and I want to dive deeper into terms, compare ideas from different sources and to do it in rapid time to make extremely deep connections from a wide range of epistemics as I have been this morning it helps to deepen my thinking. I can ask whatever questions are coming up as I am making connections and ask CHATGPT for information. It helps me contemplate deeper than ever before. 

I can clarify definitions, ask for book summaries, ask it to contrasts western and eastern ideas and get myself the big overview picture extremely quickly which helps me know if I am on the right track. 

When reading a book you read. You also read when using chat GPT but you can ask and help form the material that you read in real time. 

I do also spend time thinking my own thoughts. But, education and study is very important because contemplation requires fuel, at least for me.

Of course one must use their own brain. But, it’s a tool like any other… like a calculator, book, car, knife… etc 

I really doubt it’s making people more dumb if they use it skillfully. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"