Epikur

Girard's Mimetic Theory: Unveiling the Hidden Dynamics of Desire and Conflict

6 posts in this topic

I gave AI bing a prompt about the topic:

Girard’s mimetic theory is an influential account of the social psychology of imitation, which argues that human desire is not individual but collective, or social.

According to Girard, human desire is triangular, involving a subject, an object, and a mediator, who is a model or rival for the object.

Mimetic desire leads to natural rivalry and eventually to scapegoating, which is the collective violence against a single victim, who is then revered as sacred.

Girard’s theory draws on history, literary criticism, anthropology, and theology, and uses examples from fiction, religion, and mythology to illustrate his points.

Anthropological history provides evidence for Girard’s theory, as many cultures have practiced forms of dance, sacrifice, and ritual that express mimetic desire and scapegoating.

For example, the Aztecs performed dances and sacrifices to appease their gods and maintain social order, often using captives from rival groups as scapegoats.

Another example is the Aboriginal Australians, who enacted dances and ceremonies to reenact the mythical events of the Dreamtime, and sometimes used animals or outsiders as scapegoats.

Peter Thiel is a big fan of Girard

The first Video of Jonatham BI lost me when he said that Girdard belive that our World will collapse. Not that I dont recognize we have problems but if the end conclusion of Rene is this Distopic view I have nothing to do with his ideas