DreamSpirit

Any New Upcoming Travel Plans Or Tips On Places Visited?

43 posts in this topic

Where are you headed?  Need any advice on places you'll be traveling to?  I'm an avid backpacker.  I've traveled to over 14 different countries.  If you have any questions about travel; let's share our travel perspectives on the countries we've visited with people who are heading that way.  Post your questions and travel tips here! :D 

I haven't traveled extensively, but I did take a trip to Denver, CO last year for work and each evening I hiked to different areas of Red Rock to watch the sun set. It was an amazing experience for a city boy and opened my eyes to how beautiful this world is. What is your next trip?

Awesome!  Glad you were able to venture out and do something so cool!  The world really is beautiful isn't it?  I'm backpacking Central America into South America in a few months.  I can't wait!  I fly one way into Nicaragua, then I'll be overlanding it to the other countries, staying in hostels and guesthouses, exploring what their way of life is like.  Travel does wonders for the human perspective and personal development.  I absolutely think I might be addicted to it haha.

Since my childhood I am inspired by the Norwegian culture and nature. This summer I am going to bike-travel for four weeks from Oslo, to Kristiansand up to Trondheim. I will wild camp most of the times, care for food, water and every other lower basic need by myself. Feels like I'm on a hero's journey.

Norway bicycle tour

Edited by Roman

Wow, @Roman! Pretty ambitious trip. I live in Finland and I might consider doing this at some point too. Would love to hear about it more after your trip.

@Roman: I live in Oslo, so if there´s anything you wonder about, I´d be glad to help

@DreamSpirit Hi :)

I really want to go travelling this summer. Thanks to some failed internship interviews at uni I now only have two options for this summer which are to get a job at home or go travelling. Easy choice, I think I'm going to choose travelling :P 

I have no idea how to go about it though. Me and a friend were talking about it, we were thinking about inter-railing round Europe. What do you think about that? We're open to ideas atm too, where have you been and how did you organise the trip? where did type of place did you stay in and where did you get food etc?

My friend isn't completely committed yet so I might be going solo... I'll cross that bridge when I get there haha

Any advice would be a great help!

@Black Flag Hey!! That's incredible!!  And what a lovely time to have open for traveling; definitely take the leap and expand your horizons!!!  It's totally doable!!  You can use websites like couchsurfing.com to get free accomodation.  I saved up a lot of money and traveled to cheap countries I knew my money would go long in.  I spent most of my time in Southeast Asia.  Some of  the places I went to were major cheap, Laos you can get a room there for $3/night.  Also, I ate the local food/ street food, didn't want to eat American, that also saved on funds.   There are lots of opportunities to teach English abroad, too if you run out of money.  You can volunteer and also look up organic farms; they will put you up and feed you in exchange for work.  There are so many options out there.  I also follow Nomadic Matt; he's got a travel blog where he talks about how he's been traveling for years on a budget.  

I've never traveled Europe, only a brief stop in Italy, but I hear Greece is really cheap, along with Bulgaria!  Also, to get around is super cheap there, too.  If you're interested in Europe; I'd start with those 2 countries.  The key to staying on the road is to start off in the cheapest countries first!  Then as you get acclimated to being abroad, you'll find out what other people are doing to stay afloat.  Travelers love sharing their information.  It's easier to get plugged in and find out what your options are once you're there.  For now, I would google farms that you can WOOF (Work On Organic Farm) at and couchsurfing.com to get around with little to no money for Europe.  

Also, one thing you want to do for ANY place you visit is get a Lonely Planet guidebook for that country.  That was my bible! I lived by it.  It had pictures of things to do, places to visit, maps, how to get there and back, budget places to sleep at, how much they costs, phone numbers, volunteer places to call up and contact.  I don't go anywhere without a Lonely Planet guidebook for that country.  It really helps!  Will this be your first time on the road?  What other questions do you have? :)

@Mia Thanks! Is there any place in Oslo you recommend me to visit? I am not looking out for touristic attractions, I would have just passed through the city.

If you are traveling to Nicaragua, here are some recommendations:

I've travelled to a handful of countries: USA, Canada, Mexico, Panama. Also Costa Rica and Honduras when i was really young. In the U.S i've been to New York, Florida, Virginia, Colorado, California and Nevada. But the country i know the most is the one i've lived most of my life and is currently gaining worldwide attention which is Nicaragua. It is such a beautiful country. The cities are amazing! Granada, Leon, Managua, San Juan Del Sur, Esteli, Matagalpa are my favorite. Granada and Leon have a colonial feel in the architecture of churches and houses. Granada is so beautiful with a huge volcano (mombacho) located on the side skirts of the city and beautiful views. The lake of Nicaragua or "lago cocibolca" is the largest  lake in Central America and it's a FRESHWATER lake! The water is so delicious as well as the beaches in San Juan Del Sur. It really feels like you are in paradise especially in: San Juan Del Sur: La Pepesca Area, El remanso beach, Maderas Beach, and Marsella Beach. Some of this beaches feel like giant swimming pools sometimes, and in other hours of the day they have amazing waves especially for surfing.

In San Juan del Sur for nightlife i recommend: Iguana Bar, The Naked Tiger Hostel, Pacha Mama Hostel, Arribas, and Hola ola hostel. Granada nightlife i recommend: La Calzada strip (which has lots of restaurants and bars), and Weekend. Managua has a fun nightlife too: AltaBar and The Reef are the most popular. Esteli is a beautiful city which is know for making coffee and some of the best cigars in the world.. "cigar zone" is a great club for nightlife. Matagalpa also has some of the best coffee and a mountain village kind of feeling with beautiful views, great weather. Nightlife: check out "woods"... you should also check out: Selva Negra. It is a Natural Reserve with forest trails, amazing food, and villas. The place is so peaceful, great for meditating and reading. The activities go on and on: volcano sand boarding, surfing, fishing, trail walking, you name it. Don't forget to try Nicaragua's Beer: Toña and Victoria, as well as its Rum: Flor de Caña. Since it's a third world country, it also puts thing into perspective especially if your coming from a first world country. Living there is a reminder of how blessed you are, and how stupid people can be sometimes for stressing by meaningless things when some people don't have shoes, shelter, or even food to eat. 

In Conclusion:

Very cheap, Excellent coffee, alcoholic beverages, cigars, food, beaches, lakes, volcanoes, parties... what else can you ask for ;) 

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

Edited by Choks

I am currently cycling around the world and it has been a blast so far! Started in my homecountry Germany, then through Europe, Turkey, Georgia, Armenia, Iran, Sri Lanka and right now in India/Rishikesk listening to Moojis satsang.

Especially Iran is just such a lovely country. The landscape is beautiful and the people are the most hospital I've ever meet. I got invited so often by strangers I just knew for less then 5 Minutes (!) to stay for the night. Probably my favorite country so far.

India on the other hand was very hard to cycle. On a bike you are in remote areas 95% of your time. And in those areas you are this weird green alien for the locals. And Indians are curious. Whenever I stopped there was a huge crowd gathering.

I will continue to Southeast Asia and probably China. But I am open for everything that comes on the way and don't have a particular plan. I love to cycle without a plan and just go where ever my journey leads me.

K1600_DSCN0632.thumb.JPG.60118175e345758

56c48edf2adfa_K1600_ZeltplatzSerbienGebi

K1600_DSCN2198.thumb.JPG.1b9daf8a433e82d

K1600_Iran.thumb.JPG.80ab666531972a0ed9e

K1600_DSCN4707.thumb.JPG.4ae4bd79ee4db44

I could post pictures endlessly haha :D

North Korea is also a country I would love to visit. I think nothing comes closer to time traveling.

Edited by ZenMonkey
posted false picture

"The death of the mind is the birth of wisdom." -- Nisargadatta Maharaj

Hey Guys,

As a seaman, I literally travelled so far all over the world. Just now I came home from Brasil and Joining again in Hong Kong. I work as concierge so I have endless informations on almost any destination.
If you need any help or recommendation then please send me a private message and I'll be more than happy to help

@DreamSpirit Couch surfing is a great shout! I think we might be using that :) and Nomadic Matt's blog is an incredible source of knowledge and inspiration! Thanks for sharing!

Another option we're thinking about is going inter-railing. Anyone had any experience of that?

WOW, everyone seem to be having so much fun and getting to experience the world out there.

Just a questions, how do you guys do it money wise? I mean, it surely cost money to do all the traveling so, what do you do to keep going?

19 hours ago, Fer Lazo said:

WOW, everyone seem to be having so much fun and getting to experience the world out there.

Just a questions, how do you guys do it money wise? I mean, it surely cost money to do all the traveling so, what do you do to keep going?

That's one reason why I love cycle touring. I have a tent and camp for the night. No cost for accomondation, only thing is food. And because I went east (from europe) that's so cheap. If you want to travel longterm also sell your car and cancel your apartment etc. If you do it right it's a whole lot cheaper than staying at home. Hitchhiking is also a great way to safe money. Some people went around the world with no money.

"The death of the mind is the birth of wisdom." -- Nisargadatta Maharaj

I'm doing a short backpacking trip in Northern Spain this summer, visiting Bilbao, Santander and San Sebastian :x. I already kind of know what I want to do/visit, but I'd be happy to hear new ideas!

On 2/17/2016 at 7:26 PM, Choks said:

If you are traveling to Nicaragua, here are some recommendations:

I've travelled to a handful of countries: USA, Canada, Mexico, Panama. Also Costa Rica and Honduras when i was really young. In the U.S i've been to New York, Florida, Virginia, Colorado, California and Nevada. But the country i know the most is the one i've lived most of my life and is currently gaining worldwide attention which is Nicaragua. It is such a beautiful country. The cities are amazing! Granada, Leon, Managua, San Juan Del Sur, Esteli, Matagalpa are my favorite. Granada and Leon have a colonial feel in the architecture of churches and houses. Granada is so beautiful with a huge volcano (mombacho) located on the side skirts of the city and beautiful views. The lake of Nicaragua or "lago cocibolca" is the largest  lake in Central America and it's a FRESHWATER lake! The water is so delicious as well as the beaches in San Juan Del Sur. It really feels like you are in paradise especially in: San Juan Del Sur: La Pepesca Area, El remanso beach, Maderas Beach, and Marsella Beach. Some of this beaches feel like giant swimming pools sometimes, and in other hours of the day they have amazing waves especially for surfing.

In San Juan del Sur for nightlife i recommend: Iguana Bar, The Naked Tiger Hostel, Pacha Mama Hostel, Arribas, and Hola ola hostel. Granada nightlife i recommend: La Calzada strip (which has lots of restaurants and bars), and Weekend. Managua has a fun nightlife too: AltaBar and The Reef are the most popular. Esteli is a beautiful city which is know for making coffee and some of the best cigars in the world.. "cigar zone" is a great club for nightlife. Matagalpa also has some of the best coffee and a mountain village kind of feeling with beautiful views, great weather. Nightlife: check out "woods"... you should also check out: Selva Negra. It is a Natural Reserve with forest trails, amazing food, and villas. The place is so peaceful, great for meditating and reading. The activities go on and on: volcano sand boarding, surfing, fishing, trail walking, you name it. Don't forget to try Nicaragua's Beer: Toña and Victoria, as well as its Rum: Flor de Caña. Since it's a third world country, it also puts thing into perspective especially if your coming from a first world country. Living there is a reminder of how blessed you are, and how stupid people can be sometimes for stressing by meaningless things when some people don't have shoes, shelter, or even food to eat. 

In Conclusion:

Very cheap, Excellent coffee, alcoholic beverages, cigars, food, beaches, lakes, volcanoes, parties... what else can you ask for ;) 

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

Wow!  Thanks so much for all of the tips!!  I really appreciate it!  I can't wait to go to Nicaragua even MORE now haha.  It sounds like heaven!  How long have you been living there?  I'll be traveling with 2 other friends, so I'm going to copy and paste your message over to them, too.  This helps a great deal.  

@DreamSpirit I grew up in Nicaragua and lived there for 19 years, live in California now. Also forgot to mention this two great places to visit: Laguna de Apoyo and Cañon de Somoto. I'm glad it helped and if you have any questions or want restaurant suggestions in managua, granada, and san juan feel free to send me a message

Just now, Choks said:

@DreamSpirit I grew up in Nicaragua and lived there for 19 years, live in California now. Also forgot to mention this two great places to visit: Laguna de Apoyo and Cañon de Somoto. I'm glad it helped and if you have any questions or want restaurant suggestions in managua, granada, and san juan feel free to send me a message

Thanks again Choks!  Will do :D

Could use some advice about Sydney, Australia.

Will be visiting in a few weeks. Would like to know how to get a ride from York Street, CBD to Sydney International Airport on a Saturday morning at around 3am. From my research it appears that the trains don't run, busses don't stop at the airport, and taxis are at a premium and hard to come by. Long way to walk...

Suggestions? Advice from Sydney dwellers would be most appreciated.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu