RyanSubconscious

Self-actualization Self Assessment - Where Next? How To Assess Yourself?

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So I'm feeling a bit lost as to what to work on next. Just wondering if anyone else has ever felt this way? Has anyone devised a methodical self-assessment for what to work on or learn about next?

A little background, I've been working actively on self-actualization with and without Leo's video blogs for around two years. Now I know this is still early in the game and there's heaps of improvement still to be made.

I meditate daily, usually with guided meditations of sorts. I've conquered a lot of negative feelings and have truly changed my outlook on life in general and I'm in a lot better place for it, even when going through really tough times.

I've assessed that I need to work on nutrition and fitness but I'm a little lost as to pinpointing exactly what to work on next on a mental level.

Has anyone else ever felt this way?  If so, how to did you assess yourself and address what you needed to look at most importantly next and in the future? 

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

At the moment I started doing personal development I came up with a model, it seemed quite looking from back then. I said to myself. Ok I sux big time and I stink..... I have to work this thing out. I will start first with my body, make it healthy, durable, good looking and keep it that way. At the same time I will start with working out the health of my mind (conscious and subconscious). Feed them properly, flex them and maintain them. Because those two things were the thins I was going to carry with myself wherever I go and whatever I do .... they better be great. And than I will expand: in the means of the outer world, my carrier, relationship, bands, friends, parents, education, The things I do not directly control.

Though its logic is primitive it worked out great for me and it still is. 

"If you immediately know the candle-light is fire then the meal was cooked along time ago"

11 minutes ago, Clayman said:

At the moment I started doing personal development I came up with a model, it seemed quite logical looking from back then. I said to myself. Ok I sux big time and I stink..... I have to work this thing out. I will start first with my body, make it healthy, durable, good looking and keep it that way. At the same time I will start with working out the health of my mind (conscious and subconscious). Feed them properly, flex them and maintain them. Because those two things were the thins I was going to carry with myself wherever I go and whatever I do .... they better be great. And than I will expand: in the means of the outer world, my carrier, relationship, bands, friends, parents, education, The things I do not directly control.

Though its logic is primitive it worked out great for me and it still is. 

"If you immediately know the candle-light is fire then the meal was cooked along time ago"

Np mate, glad to share my insights with people that need it ;) No idea why that post doubled lol

@RyanSubconscious Hi RyanSubconscious. Have I ever felt lost as to what to do next? Absolutely YES. It's part of the journey. I think that's the deal; we all have our own journey. This makes it difficult to come up with a methodical self-assessment tool that will work for everyone.

There is a lot of material here at Actualized.org and on the forum. There's also mountains of material to be found on self development, actualisation and so on.

I guess I could say I'm at a point - after making use of many of the resources out there - I tend to look to my intuition to know what to do next. Being present and letting go of everything else helps to quiet the mind. Ask in your mind what to do next; patiently and quietly wait. Usually a thought or feeling will come up and you have your answer - trust yourself. 

If something doesn't come up immediately, that's okay. Release all expectations. Perhaps your answer will come to you some while later - often when you least expect it. 

Being present and trusting yourself is key! Best wishes.

@JeffR1 Great words. That resonates a lot. I spent a couple of hours browsing topics on here last night. What a forum! I've found a practical task to do for now. Also, I think I'm going to crank up the meditation a little. I'm in the midst of a breakup from a long term relationship so quite possibly feeling overwhelmed with various external tasks and no doubt once I have a bit of solitude,  my new path for both external and internal development will surface.  I've ran through aligning my lifes interests with what I do daily and am on good ground there. For example, my career is something I'm passionate about even outside of work so I have clear purpose there. I'm just going to strip it back to basics: Work on nutrition, set goals for fitness, maintain affirmations and positive thinking and continue meditation daily.

Thanks again.

@RyanSubconscious Thank you. It is a great forum; no doubt about it. Sounds like you are dealing with a few big issues at the moment - I can associate with the long term breakup aspect (divorce after 25 years of marriage), so hang in there; it will get better. Like you, my career is a totally awesome aspect of my life purpose and I'm passionate about it too. Stripping back to basics as you mention sounds spot on. It appears you have a plan - perfect! Best wishes. :)

On 2/14/2016 at 2:53 AM, JeffR1 said:

I can associate with the long term breakup aspect (divorce after 25 years of marriage), so hang in there; it will get better.

@JeffR1If you don't mind me asking how did you know that after 25 years of marriage it was time to let go? I know there are various  reasons for divorce but lately I have been questioning my life and it seems like what used to fit and make sense really doesn't much anymore and I am struggling with knowing and second guessing myself and it brings such confusion. I really hate the confusion lol. 

I apologize if it's to personal of a question and you do not want to answer but any insight would be appreciated.