Vali2003

Struggling to verbalize Zone of Genius

5 posts in this topic

So, I have been doing Leo's Life Purpose Course and I am at the point where things should start to come together but I am not able to really go there with my mind yet since I am so unsatisified with my Zone of Genius. The problem is, I know my Zone of Genius at heart, I can feel the wholeness in my heart when I think about it and the feeling of being at home with it, however when I try to put it into words everything  that comes out feels like unprecise mumbo jumbo that doesn't really give my Life Purpose any direction. I'll come up with something and feel like it's perfect and then the next day I read it again and start see all the imperfections of it. This has happened several times.

Maybe it is just my unwillingness to commit to something which keeps me from progressing but I feel like there are serious practical issues with my Zone of Genius. Here are the current two sentences out of which my Zone of Genius should form:

The ability to gain a full picture understanding of a topic

+

creating coherent ideas just by letting my thoughts run freely

= ???

In addition I will try to explain my Zone of Genius to you so that maybe you can feel what its like. One example of my Zone of Genius in work is in school when we had to interpret the meaning of a picture with the use of certain markers like colour, positioning of objects etc. In my mind almost at an instant a whole story would form about how all these factors played into this coherent story about the true meaning of this picture and it will just seem like everything perfectly fits together for my story.

The same thing would be when I had to interpret a poem or something like this, my understanding of the object will interpret my knowledge of it into a coherent story and this applies also to my life for example when I think about how a sports team taking acid together would impact team building,my head forms a whole story about how that would go and the impacts it would have and how exactly it would impact their team chemistry etc. regardless of course wheter the story in my head would work or not this happens with many things also regarding, self-help, society and spirituality.

I just don't know if this even is something that you would call a Zone of Genius since other ZoG always seem to have like a specific area in which they apply and this just seems so general.

I know nobody can tell me my ZoG except for myself, but maybe you can help me in some other way

Thank You :-)

You really have to have the first 3 zones down really well. Really defined. Also it should be a tangible thing you want to do or be. It should be specific.

I will give you a quick example.

I am terrible at schedules and deadlines so I use software to automate my time. I am also incompetent at making videos.

I am competent at bookkeeping and editing my writing but I hate to do it because it's time consuming and I turn into an ass because its unpleasant.

I am excellent at writing and buying/leasing property. I made money in both. However it's not quite my zone of genius.

My zone of genius is discovering Truth. I am going to discover a process ( system, technique) to discover Truth(like the scientific method.) Which is what I am working on now.

Once I do that I use what I know to help humanity become more spiritual and conscious. However, there is a bit of fear and uncertainty here so I have not really realized this zone yet.

You see, to be in your ZoG, you need to realize and "be" in your zone of excellence.

Other than that, review core concepts #24. He explains that your ZoG is hidden by your fears. I suggest you watch the dreamkillers.

Make a list of all the things you are good at starting with the sentence. "I am good at"   make another list of things with the sentence " I am great at"... Then another list of all the things "I am excellent at"... And keep doing what you are excellent at..

Additionally make  three lists with good, great, excellent of the following 3 topics(9 lists in total): strength, talent, skill.

A strength is anything that gives you energy.

A talent is an innate ability that can’t be taught (for example, being incredible with numbers).

A skill is a competency that can be taught (for example, knowing Excel back to front).

Still another exercise: when you were a child, what did you want to be or do when you grew up? Make another list...

Compare this list to the all the other lists... This may give you a clue into your zone of genius or insights into your zone of excellence.

You really need to focus of being in your zone of excellence for awhile.After you are in your zone of excellence, you can really start to discover your ZoG.

As for your two sentences... Those are more like talents than zone of genius ( big picture thinking; creativity) what do you want to do with your talents?

What could you be doing right now with your skill,talents, strengths? Or at least if you could develop them relatively easily?

Edited by Ajax

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

@Ajax  This helps me understand how the whole process of finding your ZoG works. I notice that I didn't really understand that before. I love how this really gives me a gameplan for figuring out the ZoG, normally I would just sit there and think hoping it would just pop into my mind and then I would have it, but it makes sense that it's still covered in a lot of fears. What I don't really understand is how a ZoG is different from a talent, isn't it just like your highest talent that is hidden by more shallow talents and fears?

Thank you for helping me out

Edited by Vali2003

6 hours ago, Vali2003 said:

What I don't really understand is how a ZoG is different from a talent, isn't it just like your highest talent that is hidden by more shallow talents and fears?

I will repeat the definition Of Zone of Genius: The work that you are uniquely suited to do and uses your greatest strengths (what gives you energy; what love doing) and your special gifts (talents). 

Work is defined "activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result." It could be a job, it could be activism, it could be writing, it could be teaching... the key word is activity.  I see you are German. I know and speak some German. Work is "Die Arbeit".  Your job.  Your Labour. You use your talents(gifts) for your labor. You use your skills (things that you can learn or teach yourself) for your labor. You use your strengths to have love and passion for your labor. 

You see, those three things must work together with your Job. 

If you are a bookkeeper(accountant). You know you are in your zone of genius if you have a gift for numbers and enjoy doing it all the time. You have great skills of using Excell, typing, organization and really love every moment of using your skills. You love bookkeeping so much that you would be doing it even if you were not in the job. You do bookeeping in your free time. You read about bookeeping.  You are in love with bookeeping, you think about it all the time, you can't wait to get back to bookeeping. It is not work for you, it is a fun and enjoyable experience. 

To be honest, I don't know anyone thinks bookeeping is in their ZoG. LOL Actually, most bookeepers are in their zone of excellence or competence.  But I think you understand.  However a bookeeper, who is in their zone of excellence might decide that being an investor is their zone of genius if they get out of their comfort zone and gets involved in investing and then he will keep working at investing until he is in his ZoG.

Do you understand? let me know if there is something that you don't understand. 

Edited by Ajax

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

13 hours ago, Ajax said:

I will repeat the definition Of Zone of Genius: The work that you are uniquely suited to do and uses your greatest strengths (what gives you energy; what love doing) and your special gifts (talents). 

Work is defined "activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result." It could be a job, it could be activism, it could be writing, it could be teaching... the key word is activity.  I see you are German. I know and speak some German. Work is "Die Arbeit".  Your job.  Your Labour. You use your talents(gifts) for your labor. You use your skills (things that you can learn or teach yourself) for your labor. You use your strengths to have love and passion for your labor. 

You see, those three things must work together with your Job. 

If you are a bookkeeper(accountant). You know you are in your zone of genius if you have a gift for numbers and enjoy doing it all the time. You have great skills of using Excell, typing, organization and really love every moment of using your skills. You love bookkeeping so much that you would be doing it even if you were not in the job. You do bookeeping in your free time. You read about bookeeping.  You are in love with bookeeping, you think about it all the time, you can't wait to get back to bookeeping. It is not work for you, it is a fun and enjoyable experience. 

To be honest, I don't know anyone thinks bookeeping is in their ZoG. LOL Actually, most bookeepers are in their zone of excellence or competence.  But I think you understand.  However a bookeeper, who is in their zone of excellence might decide that being an investor is their zone of genius if they get out of their comfort zone and gets involved in investing and then he will keep working at investing until he is in his ZoG.

Do you understand? let me know if there is something that you don't understand. 

The process is pretty clear to me now, and I think I actually understand what a Zone of Genius really is. The exercise that you told me in your previous reply along with the example for bookkeeping gives me a nice gameplan for how I am gonna figure it out, makes me really excited about it.

Vielen Dank für deine Hilfe ;)