Pav

Having Faith

1 post in this topic

Your brain is incredibly good at keeping track of time. This morning I was in a dream. I felt myself about to wake up and wanted to know what time it was. In the dream I see the figure "8:48" in front of my vision. I wake up and immediately check the time. Exactly 8:48. I have found you don't even need an alarm clock, you can just tell your brain before you go to sleep "okay, I want to wake up at 7:40" and it will wake you up. 

There seems to be this remarkable kind of intelligence in your body. I don't mean the "rational" intelligence as we ordinarily think of it, but rather a spontaneous, intuitive type of intelligence. At this moment you immune system is working to an incredible degree of complexity to keep you safe from pathogens, your body knew exactly how to grow to form you in who you are today, billions of neurons and glial cells work in unison to produce all the colours you see and the sounds you hear. Not even the most sophisticated neuroscientists of our time really have a clue of how the brain functions.

Although despite this, it seems that many people impose on themselves rigid routines and strict moral principles, always "logically" planning out and policing every move they make as if if they just let go they would suddenly become some raging lunatic. 

I think this may have something to do with the concept of faith spoken about in the scriptures. Although faith is probably not the best word to use now day with the negative connotations that come along with it, I believe trust would be better. Build trust in the intelligence of your own organism, trust in your intuitive wisdom. Get out of your own way and quit lording over yourself as a "rational" tyrant. Allow your body function on it's own superior intellect. 

You may experience some backlash at first, particularly if you've been imposing control for many years (perceived control, free will is an illusion although that's a topic for another post). It takes time to regain this sort of trust. I've have found that after building this trust I begin to function more spontaneously, more effortlessly. The actions I take are much more aligned with my higher values (beauty, humility, joy), driven more by the faint pull of intuition and less driven by egoic neuroticism. Creatively, I even begin to surprise myself. You realise, in a peculiar sort of way, that what ever the outcome everything in itself is all right, there is no longer a strong ego demanding that the world be exactly as it wills. 

"The best rulers are those who do not interfere with their subordinates" - Alan Watts [paraphrase]