Shane597

Career Path

3 posts in this topic

I am currently not in college. I transferred my scholarship funds to a university in the state of Oregon and I am waiting to attend college in the fall and I am soft more in college. I am working as a direct care provider for mentally and physically handicapped people. I know this is a great intro into a job as a counselor, but do you guys have any other recommendations for jobs that would dovetail into my current goal of becoming a counselor? Or maybe any suggestions on how to make sure this is the right career path for me? 

Edited by Shane Roberts
missed a word

My job as a counselor would align with my higher values and my life purpose. I just like to make sure I am on the right path. My life purpose is to inspire others to be the best possible version of themselves. I feel I can do this best through my understanding of people. 

Edited by Shane Roberts

Offering your time as an intern could bring you valuable experience although they usually don't pay much. However your goal is higher than money and if you have enough to sustain you, maybe try sending out your CV along with good covering letter to local universities and colleges. If you really state your higher ambition in the Covering Letter and demonstrate that you are driven and hungry for the experience not the money, someone might consider hiring you even if they never thought about it. I know its easier said than done but could be an op for you. This could then open more opportunities for you down the road. 

Also, maybe life coaching would work for you. If you are not driven by profit and your services would be acceptable to people provided that yous till deliver valuable content, you could influence thousands of people in terms of 20-40 years time. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus