Clabber Girl

Spiral Dynamics - quality material goods a Green value?

3 posts in this topic

What spiral dynamics stage would quality and sustainable material goods (clothing, food, furniture, home) be considered? Since sustainability and environmental consciousness is a green value I would consider it green but I want to hear what others think.

Orange has mass-marketed and promoted cheap goods that dont last long. What stage would quality goods that last 10+ years that are not mass-marketed be in?

French culture has been historically less consumptive than western cultures and values high-quality food and not as much variety in clothing. They also seem to value a slow, intentional approach to life.

generally, stage green, but i think you could find many people who value good quality stuff across other stages such as blue, orange, yellow.

softly into the Abyss...

All the stages can appreciate quality, but for different reasons. For example with material, orange is most likely after status, whereas green wants to express his values. Yellow on the other hand takes the matter more holistically.

When looking at consumption behavior through the SD lens, it's good to keep in mind that personal and cultural preferences also affect a lot.

Edited by Snader