Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
enzyme

Is it weird that I don't like my family?

3 posts in this topic

I had some troubles with them when I was growing up (tldr my mother's a narcissist and both my father and step-father were hot-headed).  Even though I've mostly gotten over things that happened and I'm living at home again with them I find day-to-day life here just really jarring.

When I used to live alone I made an attempt to cut contact with them but they just kept coming to my door and crap; even after trying to get police involved it never really ended.

I ended up back at home after lockdown because I was struggling financially and the whole pandemic scenario was making me go funny in the head.  Figured it was a lesser evil to return home temporarily.

I plan on making the steps to move to the next city over so I know they won't be able to physically visit me.  I don't plan on cutting ties with them permanently - not unless they give me a good reason to - I just want to live alone again and be solitary since that's what really makes me come alive and feel good about myself.

Am I a cold asshole or not thinking straight for wanting to leave them even though they've not done anything wrong?

Did you tell them clearly what you need? Like not coming to your door, giving you longer times between communication, and so on?

You don't get to choose your family, but you do get to choose the life you want to live.

hrhrhtewgfegege